Macbook Air old version??

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I bought a unibody white macbook used from a private vendor for like $450 + office for $50 for my baby sister so like $500 out the door. It was fine for the first 2 days, but I see the beach ball rolling too much. He gave me a 6 month warranty and a 30 money day back guarantee. I am thinking to part ways with it.

How is this one though? Is this going to be fast enough compared to the current one?

Just need it for youtube streaming, face booking and word documents (student basic stuff).

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC968LL-11-6-Inch-VERSION/dp/B005CWIN1E/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1415852985&sr=1-9&keywords=macbook+air

I don't know what old version really entails.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I bought a unibody white macbook used from a private vendor for like $450 + office for $50 for my baby sister so like $500 out the door. It was fine for the first 2 days, but I see the beach ball rolling too much. He gave me a 6 month warranty and a 30 money day back guarantee. I am thinking to part ways with it.

Even if this white Unibody MacBook was working great...I would still say return it ASAP!!! You easily overpaid by about $100-$150.;)

How is this one though? Is this going to be fast enough compared to the current one?

Just need it for youtube streaming, face booking and word documents (student basic stuff).

Amazon.com : Apple MacBook Air MC968LL/A 11.6-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) : Notebook Computers : Computers & Accessories

Personally I wouldn't touch this 11" MacBook Air! With only 2gig of ram and only 64gig of storage...just not enough. The 64gig of storage could be managed...but 2gig of ram is way way way too little. FYI...ram on these is not upgradeable. And YIKES...$735...no darn way!!!;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
yeah, I'm gonna return it this week. $200 is worth a better laptop imo

i see that the refurb on the website is like $720 so idk

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC968LL-11-6-Inch-VERSION/dp/B005CWIN1E/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1415852985&sr=1-9&keywords=macbook+air

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, I'm gonna return it this week. $200 is worth a better laptop imo

i see that the refurb on the website is like $720 so idk...

I purchase all my used Mac's via Craig's List. I got a 2011 13" MacBook Pro (about 2 years ago)...for $400...and it was worth a lot more then than now. And now it is still worth over $600.

- You'll find that if you purchase used Mac's via websites that specialize in selling used Mac's...that you'll pay up to a 25%-50% premium for it (more than they are actually worth).
- On eBay (on average) you'll pay just about what they are worth.
- On Craig's List you should be able to get them for less than they sell for on eBay. Of course as long as you're not buying something that is priced close to eBay prices.

* Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I think the 30 day money back guarantee was a figment of my imagination. He won't return it and, yes, you are right he is overcharging easily $100-200 over the true cost.

There's nothing I can really do at this point. I noticed that the hinges were cracking so I went ahead and gave it back to him to fix. I am truly disappointed in myself for buying this POS.

I just hope it doesnt give her issues.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the 30 day money back guarantee was a figment of my imagination. He won't return it and, yes, you are right he is overcharging easily $100-200 over the true cost.

There's nothing I can really do at this point. I noticed that the hinges were cracking so I went ahead and gave it back to him to fix. I am truly disappointed in myself for buying this POS.

Don't beat yourself up too much over this. Most internet sellers of used Mac's charge more than what you would pay on Craig's List or eBay.

The cracked hinges on the white MacBooks was a very very common thing (it happens when folks open the display too far). I had at least three white MacBooks that were this way…and none of them got worse as long as I didn't get crazy with things.

So it's really not a POS. It's mostly a good computer. Of course it would have been nice to pay a little less for it. It won't be the last computer you ever purchase…so a lesson learned now…and an experience you can avoid in the future!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up too much over this. Most internet sellers of used Mac's charge more than what you would pay on Craig's List or eBay.

The cracked hinges on the white MacBooks was a very very common thing (it happens when folks open the display too far). I had at least three white MacBooks that were this way…and none of them got worse as long as I didn't get crazy with things.

So it's really not a POS. It's mostly a good computer. Of course it would have been nice to pay a little less for it. It won't be the last computer you ever purchase…so a lesson learned now…and an experience you can avoid in the future!:)

- Nick

Thanks for the wise words! :) You win some you lose some in life as the saying goes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This unit is very similar to the one you linked in post #1 of the thread. Although it is less expensive (asking price $450)…I still wouldn't consider it due to the minuscule 2gig of ram. The 64gig of storage is puny as well (but this can be managed). The 2gig of ram is going to be an issue now…and will only get worse in the future. The ram is NOT upgradeable…so you are stuck with 2gig. Plus it only has the 11" display.

If I had the choice between this 11" MacBook Air and the white Unibody MacBook that was purchased…I would rather have the white MacBook. The 11" MacBook Air is "sexier"…but the white MacBook has a 13" display…max ram of 8gig, and you could always install an SSD in it to speed things up.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
This unit is very similar to the one you linked in post #1 of the thread. Although it is less expensive (asking price $450)…I still wouldn't consider it due to the minuscule 2gig of ram. The 64gig of storage is puny as well (but this can be managed). The 2gig of ram is going to be an issue now…and will only get worse in the future. The ram is NOT upgradeable…so you are stuck with 2gig. Plus it only has the 11" display.

If I had the choice between this 11" MacBook Air and the white Unibody MacBook that was purchased…I would rather have the white MacBook. The 11" MacBook Air is "sexier"…but the white MacBook has a 13" display…max ram of 8gig, and you could always install an SSD in it to speed things up.:)

- Nick

thanks i cant return the white one but ill likely be needing something portable as a replacement for my ipad that was recently stolen

the 11 inch is not an issue for me i just need something that can allow me to surf the web and not for storing files and such.

Macbook Air 13 1.8Ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 128GB SSD

i found this one and want to give him 600 but not sure if thats a good price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I have a white MacBook, early 2008. I upgraded it to 4gb of ram, a 120gb SSD and 10.7 Lion (max it will do) and its a great little machine. The SSD keeps it snappy and overall it's a solid performer for everything I need in a portable.

Don't give up hope on that one just yet. You may have overpaid a bit, but it's a decent machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks i cant return the white one but ill likely be needing something portable as a replacement for my ipad that was recently stolen

the 11 inch is not an issue for me i just need something that can allow me to surf the web and not for storing files and such.

I think that if I'm understanding things (now)…and wasn't made clear in this thread earlier. The white MacBook was for your sister…and a 2nd laptop/notebook is for you.

If this is true…then we're talking about the purchase of two laptops/notebooks…with the white MacBook already purchased for your sister.

Whatever you decide to get…make sure it has at least 4gig of ram…or can be upgraded to at least 4gig of ram. In 2014…and purchasing something "new to you"...you really don't want anything with less than 4gig of ram.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I think that if I'm understanding things (now)…and wasn't made clear in this thread earlier. The white MacBook was for your sister…and a 2nd laptop/notebook is for you.

If this is true…then we're talking about the purchase of two laptops/notebooks…with the white MacBook already purchased for your sister.

Whatever you decide to get…make sure it has at least 4gig of ram…or can be upgraded to at least 4gig of ram. In 2014…and purchasing something "new to you"...you really don't want anything with less than 4gig of ram.:)

- Nick

yup, you got it.

to make things a bit more complicated, lol, my mom just went ahead and bought a sealed macbook from her coworker (she did check that it was 11" and 4gb of ram). she bought this for herself. its the model http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CWJ8YA/?tag=macforums0e4-20

she says her coworker won it at a raffle and needed money so she sold it to my mom for $650, i think its a so so deal given that its an old model.

as far as im concerned, i think im going to stick to my macbook pro from 2010 for now lol.

OP
A
Reaction score
MD223LL

hey guys regarding the 11.6 air from mid 2012, ive noticed that the battery life drains rather quick? it goes from 100% to like 20% with like 2.5 hours of web browsing, is this normal? could the battery have decomposed with being stagnant for so long? lol

i noticed when i opened it up, it had zero percent in it for the first time and i had to actually plug it in to get it to work lol

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi,
So my mom bought one of these from her co-worker. It was sealed and it looked good so she bought it on impulse.

Fast forward, we installed yosemite immediately open opening. I have noticed that battery drains from 100% to 20% in a matter of 1.5 hours. It charges fine, but its like impossible to use it on a full charge for a reasonable duration of time.

Secondly, if I use Safari or Google Chrome, I get this mackeeper or macsaver popup or something to do with mediaplayers,, it opens several new tabs and makes it very irritating to use.

The only comfortable browser is mozilla.

Any tips on what to do about this?

Apparently, its no longer covered under warranty eventhough, it is brand new. Can I still get apple care for it?

Thanks in advance!

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi,
So my mom bought one of these from her co-worker. It was sealed and it looked good so she bought it on impulse.

Fast forward, we installed yosemite immediately open opening. I have noticed that battery drains from 100% to 20% in a matter of 1.5 hours. It charges fine, but its like impossible to use it on a full charge for a reasonable duration of time.

Secondly, if I use Safari or Google Chrome, I get this mackeeper or macsaver popup or something to do with mediaplayers,, it opens several new tabs and makes it very irritating to use.

The only comfortable browser is mozilla.

Any tips on what to do about this?

Apparently, its no longer covered under warranty eventhough, it is brand new. Can I still get apple care for it?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@as90:

Let's keep this thread all together as one. I merged the new thread you started on the same subject into the original. Otherwise we'll have multiple answers spread out over two threads.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.