MacBook Air 2020 keeps shutting down. Help!

Reaction score
My MacBook air 2020 keeps shutting down without warning, mostly within the first 10 minute of starting it. Checked for hardware issue, recovery mode options, reset PRAM, etc, even wiped the hard drive clean and re installed Monterey. Could anyone possibly help with this issue? Thanks.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My first thought would be overheating but usually the fan would become noisy before failure. Has the fan been excessively loud? Does the device seem unusually hot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Any error messages? Anything on shutdown or start up after a shutdown? What, specifically, have you tried, other than installing Monterey? Safe Boot? Hardware test? What have you installed recently?

OP
A
Reaction score
My first thought would be overheating but usually the fan would become noisy before failure. Has the fan been excessively loud? Does the device seem unusually hot?
I thought the same. Fan seems to be running fine, via the hardware test, no issues either. I’m completely stumped.

OP
A
Reaction score
Any error messages? Anything on shutdown or start up after a shutdown? What, specifically, have you tried, other than installing Monterey? Safe Boot? Hardware test? What have you installed recently?
No error message at all. I’ve tried it all, even completely wiped the hard drive to factory settings. Safe boot, hardware test(adp0000). I’ve opened it up, taken a look inside, all looks fine. Fan is running fine from what I can see, and testing. I’m stumped. As is the Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well, it could be almost anything. Best bet is maybe the power supply, but if it successfully stayed on long enough for the hardware test and installation, that seems improbable. Might be a tiny fracture in one of the thin cables that connect things together, but normally that should at least throw a message.

Good luck with it. Not going to be easy to find.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, power supply was my next thought but there is no doubt weird things can happen. Two of us on these forums had/have an unexplained shutdown issue with 2015 MBP’s. In both cases they just shut down and in my case can take hours to allow restart. I’m keeping my MBP running with an app called Amphetamine which prevents the CPU from sleeping

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.