MacBook Air 2017 - Trackpad can't click

krs

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2017 MacBook Air where suddenly the trackpad click no longer works.

It's not my personal Mac so I'm not even 100% sure what part of that trackpad is supposed to move.
When I run my finger around the edge of the trackpad,at the bottom the trackpad is noticably lower than the case, at the top it's pretty much flush.
When I attach a suction cup to the trackpad, I can pull it up at the bottom so it becomes flush with the case but if I pull at the top the trackpad does not move. Not sure if it is supposed to move.
I tried cleaning around the edge of the trackpad, got out a bit of dirt but that made no difference.

A swollen battery I think would prevent one from pushing down on the trackpad. Unless that only affects the top of the trackpad, I don't think that's it.
I tried to enable the "tap tp lick" option - that works fine.
I also tried using a mouse which works as well.

Any suggestions what to try or check.
So it seems the electronics are OK.

First specific question - should the top part of the trackpad move when trying to click?
When I use a MacBook,I use my thumb to click at the bottom.

BTW - Nothing was spilled on the MacBook; it was moved from one house to another house in town when trackpad click stopped working.
Moving the mouse with the trackpad is fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can check for the battery swelling with a ruler or straightedge. If you put it on the case in the space between the trackpad and the bottom row of keys, it should touch all the way across, from edge to edge. If it has any hump in the middle such that the edges don't touch, the battery is swelling against the keyboard, trackpad, and the case.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Thanks Jake.
I just checked the MacBook Air body where you suggested - it is absolutely flat across the whole front.
Checked it with two different steel ruler edges so battery seems to be fine.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I came across this video about the adjustment screw - does nyone have experience related to that?

As I mentioned, the bottom of the trackpad sits about a millimeter below the top cover - I can pull it up with a suction cup.
So I wonder if the issue ould be related to that screw.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@krs: Please do not use "Report a Post" to change the title of your post above. I changed it for you but a simple "Contact Us" request is better.

Thanks

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try to remember if a title change is ever required again.
As explanation - I used "report" because it relates to a specific post and is right next to "Edit" which I used for the body of the post; "Contact Us"seems very generic and doesn't relate to a thread or post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@krs, take a look at ifixit.com to see if they have a procedure for replacing the trackpad. It may reference any adjustments that can be made.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
@krs, take a look at ifixit.com to see if they have a procedure for replacing the trackpad. It may reference any adjustments that can be made.
They do mention it in step 11 of their instructions to replace the trackpad, but it doesn't say anything that would help me decide if that might be the problem.

• During reassembly, check the clicking action on the trackpad.

• The 1.4 mm T5 Torx screw near the front edge of the case must be adjusted correctly.

• If overtightened, the button will cease to click at a certain point. Adjust the set screw until the clicking side of the trackpad has minimal play.

• It's not necessary to remove this screw in order to remove the trackpad.
I'm going to get my son to bring over his MacBook on the weekend to see where the trackpad should be sitting relative to the top of the case. Maybe that givesme an better idea of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.