MacBook Air 11" 2011 (4.1) Keyboard and Trackpad issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11"; iPhone 5S
Hi all,

my MacBook Air (11", 2011, 4.1, 2MB Ram, OSX Sierra) has an temp issue with keyboard and trackpad and I'm searching for a solution to fix this.
Sometimes neither keybord nor trackpad is responding. External devices are working fine - but I need my Macbook mobile ;-).
After a restart sometimes it works, somtimes only for a minute, then the devices are not responding.

A SMC reset helps sometimes, after the second or third attempt.

What happens before:
First I thought my Mac has a problem with the foil cable from trackpad to logicboard. After changing it, the issue was still present.
Battery is not new, but in a good shape - looks like new. And all cables are connected.
One idea was, the OS causes this problems. With a clean Lion installation, the problem was still present. Now, I have a clean Sierra installation.

Currently I follow the idea, that it is working fine when it's warm. This morning, the MacBook was cold (room temp) it has problems. Now, that I'm trying various things, and it's warn - all fine.

Can someone help me fixing this problem or finding out what's wrong, at least?

Stig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It sounds as though there is a battery issue. Sometimes they expand and put pressure on the trackpad and keyboard. Do you shut down your MBA when done for the day? Maybe leave it on, and see if it improves?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi ferrar,
mostely I close it at the end of the day. When I wake it up in the morning from sleep mode, there is no keyboard and mousepad present.
I also shut it down - mostly with the same problem.

Is there a way to check the battery?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK.

It seems to be the battery. MBA works well when it's warm. Swallen battery? - I can't see anything like that.
A new battery is thinner than an old one, right? Does anyone have experiences to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You would have to open your MacBook Air in order to see if the battery has any swelling. The battery may actually expand and contract as it heats up and then cools down. The only repair is to replace the battery and should be done before permanent damage is caused to your trackpad or keyboard. The 11" MacBook Air is very compact and might be difficult to work on. You will also need a special screwdriver to remove the old battery.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I previously opend the MBA to have a look for the battery and the cable (my first suspect) - about a week ago.
There were no swellings to see. Maybe I'll see something when the battery is warm.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AppleUSBTCKeyboard Error

Hi

Can someone tell me what:

AppleUSBTCKeyboard: IOUSBHostHIDDevice::start: start has failed: IOUSBHostHIDDevice::start: start has failed
Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad: bad busy count (0,-1) Backtrace 0xffffff800089883b 0xffffff800089a1be 0xffffff80002a0af7 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad@fa120000: AppleUSBDevice::start: failed to open _deviceClient

means?

My keyboard and trackpad is sometimes not responding.

(Apple MacBook Air (4,1) 11" 2011, i5 1,6GHz, 2GB RAM, OSX Sierra)

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start a new thread when you already have a thread about the same subject. I combined your threads together here. Keep it all in one thread.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please do not start a new thread when you already have a thread about the same subject. I combined your threads together here. Keep it all in one thread.

Sorry - I don't understand.
Same problem, yes - but different topic.

M

MacInWin

Nope, same topic. I still think you have a swollen battery. It doesn't take much to press on the underside of the keyboard and trackpad and get strange results. The error messages you cited are related to the trackpad and keyboard, so it's either a cable or the battery, most likely. And the swelling doesn't really change with heat. It's due to internal chemistry in the battery as it ages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.