Macbook 2.1ghz vs 2.4Ghz vs. 2007ish MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I'm searching on eBay day and night checking various prices and previously sold items. I've started an obsession - my days until I obtain my Mac (with an 85 average in school, that is). I've gone to the Apple store and checked out all of the Macs in the title (the new 15" MBP) and I love em' all. If any of you helped me on my other threads, I was worried about 13" being too small, but I find it close to perfection.

Now the questions come. I'm in love with the MBP. 15" is perfect, and I'm using this as an every day computer, so I really like the bigger screen and the speakers are a HUGE plus (no need to buy Bose even though the quality will severly change). But if I'm spending $1000ish, I want something new, or something with a good warranty. I've spent my whole life buying all used stuff, and I figured that I could splurge a little and get the new stuff, no? The problem here is, I don't find eBay THAT reliable, and after all, its used!

Then lets say I decide on a MacBook. Is 2.1Ghz a big difference compared to 2.4? I'm going to have 4GB of Ram no matter what, but I want to know if its worth the extra $$??? Because I'm also going to spend my money on Apple Care...

I know I rambled on a bit, but thanks for all the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Well the one somewhat big difference between the 2.1 & 2.4 is that the 2.1 MacBook comes with a Combo Drive and not a Super Drive like the 2.4 version does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
It can never hurt to go for the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ha, that's my philosophy. I buy nothing but the best of what is out at the time. :D

Not everyone has money to throw away. I also like to buy things but always do research before buying and doing some shopping around for the best prices around doesn't hurt either.

Spend money wisely is what I'm trying to say I guess.

IE. SSD 64 GB for 1k no thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!
Not everyone has money to throw away. I also like to buy things but always do research before buying and doing some shopping around for the best prices around doesn't hurt either.

Oh I agree with you 100%. I'm not saying I spend all my money on the best things, I always do price searching before I buy anything. An example is my New MacBook Pro. It's the top of the line 17" model, and I only paid $2500 for it. I bought it Refurbished, and I also got a 17% governement discount.

So I made sure I found the best price for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 C2D iMac, 2.4 Black Macbook, a few iPods and an iPhone

I would have to agree ...The price per performance gain on that SSD is no way worth $1k.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I'm searching on eBay day and night checking various prices and previously sold items. I've started an obsession - my days until I obtain my Mac (with an 85 average in school, that is). I've gone to the Apple store and checked out all of the Macs in the title (the new 15" MBP) and I love em' all. If any of you helped me on my other threads, I was worried about 13" being too small, but I find it close to perfection.

Now the questions come. I'm in love with the MBP. 15" is perfect, and I'm using this as an every day computer, so I really like the bigger screen and the speakers are a HUGE plus (no need to buy Bose even though the quality will severly change). But if I'm spending $1000ish, I want something new, or something with a good warranty. I've spent my whole life buying all used stuff, and I figured that I could splurge a little and get the new stuff, no? The problem here is, I don't find eBay THAT reliable, and after all, its used!

Then lets say I decide on a MacBook. Is 2.1Ghz a big difference compared to 2.4? I'm going to have 4GB of Ram no matter what, but I want to know if its worth the extra $$??? Because I'm also going to spend my money on Apple Care...

I know I rambled on a bit, but thanks for all the help!

What are you gonna be using this thing for? Games/movies/graphics/audio? I have a macbook and I'm fine with it. I previously had a 20" LCD monitor, switching took some getting used to but now I'm used to it. Will you be toting this thing around alot? Taking it to class?

There are a ton of factors you should consider before throwing down this much money, at least IMO.

If money is an issue, I would recommend apple recertified/refurbished MB and MBP's:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?node=home/specialdeals/mac

My MB is a refurb and it was like brand new when I got it, saved me a few hundred bucks.

EDIT: you may also want to look at ebay for applecare. I got mine for $150 with a 10% coupon. They just sent me the activation code and I just registered it online. Done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.