MacBook 13" & time machine

Reaction score
Trying to restore my old iMac data to an old MacBook using my Time machine. The MacBook HDD is 160GB but the TM is larger, according to Disk Util it is 320GB with 239GB used.

I've deleted as much data as I can find photos, vids downloads etc, but there seems to be a huge amount of data somewhere that I need to get rid of,

I've deleted other accounts as well ... What takes up all the data? And how can I strip it back to below 160GB to restore to the MacBook?

The MacBook has a clean newly formatted HDD.

Thanks

Reaction score
the time machine backup is larger because it backs all hidden files and even videos music iTunes applications all of it to the external this is why your time machine backup is larger you kinda need the hidden files for your machine to run.

i would upgrade the hard drive in the macbook the hard drive size you have is way to small you need to have a large enough hard drive to keep 80% of the space free to be able to keep the machine stable

OP
I
Reaction score
I thought that may be the case, I was hoping to get away without having to get a new hard drive,, but thanks anyway.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
the time machine backup is larger because it backs all hidden files and even videos music iTunes applications all of it to the external this is why your time machine backup is larger you kinda need the hidden files for your machine to run.

...snip...

That is just...

wrong.

According to that explanation, even if it does backup every single file, a single backup would still be only the same size as the data it backed up. A backup of 100 GB from your internal drive, including all "hidden files and even videos music iTunes applications [sic]" would still only be 100 GB in size, it would not be 200 GB in size.

The reason Time Machine (TM) grows over time is because it makes what could be called "incremental" backups. You make an initial backup and over time it creates new backups only of the items that have changed - keeping a record of what has been added and deleted from your computer. While TM adds new files you have to the backup, it does not remove items that you have deleted from your internal drive.. Instead, it keeps a copy of those deleted files in case you may want to retrieve something you have deleted. This is why it grows in size over time to be much more than the amount of data you keep on your main drive.

Having said all of that, there is absolutely no reason to strip the TM backup down to below the size of your drive. When you do a clean install of the OS and use your TM backup to restore the computer, it is only going to restore what was on the computer at the time of the "last" backup. And "that" backup can never be larger than the drive itself.

It does not restore all the stuff that has been backed up previously and then removed from your computer. There is no reason, whatsoever, for attempting to get your TM backup down to a size that is below the size of your internal drive.

It is "not" going to attempt to restore all the data it is holding (239 GB in your case). If you only had 80 GB used on your computer at the time of your last backup, TM is only going to restore ~80 GB of data. I have had my TM backups reach as large as 1,000+ GB in size and after a clean install of the OS and then a full TM restore only restore 60 GB of data onto my computer - because that's how much data was there when I made the last backup.

Imho, you should never go into your TM backup and manually manipulate files there. You are taking a chance that the backup will be damaged and possibly non-functional when it comes time when you need to use it to restore data you want.

i would upgrade the hard drive in the macbook the hard drive size you have is way to small you need to have a large enough hard drive to keep 80% of the space free to be able to keep the machine stable

Related to this statement, there is no way for anyone here to make a recommendation as to whether your 160 GB drive is "too small" (for you) or not since you have not provided us with any info regarding how much used/free space you typically keep on the drive. For example, if you only typically have 50 GB, or even 100 GB used space on your drive, there is nothing wrong with the "size" of your drive.

I would recommend a new drive if you can afford it. But, only because of the age and because I like the WD Black drives and I know they're quite a bit faster than those 250 GB and smaller drives that shipped on Macs from a few years ago.

Last edited:
OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. When my I mac blew, I ended up with a Time M/C backup and the internal HD so I have all the user data I need. To work I need to revive my old MacBook with most of my old docs... Don't need any music, pics etc. easiest way as I understand it is to restore from TM. But I get a "not enough disk space" message.

I can run my old iMac disk on the MacBook with a bunch of cables using the USB port... But it's not a very portable solution.

This may be a dumb question, but with the TM restore the OS that was on the old iMac ... This is my ideal solution.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are booting to the iMac drive on the MB, how much used space does that iMac drive have?

OP
I
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByMac Forums1418565486.175146.jpg 250GB total with 52GB free. I haven't "edited" the data on the original, but getting rid of other user accounts would lose another 60GB...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're lucky - it's a little unusual that a Mac will boot off the drive from another one unless they're both the same machine. OS X has this habit of only installing hardware drivers needed by your particular system.

Based on the used and free space on that drive, even after deleting another 60 GB, you're still sitting at 188 GB - too much for the 160 GB drive you have. I wouldn't put more than about 100-110 GB of data on a 160 GB drive. With that much data on your existing internal drive - instead of figuring what what you're willing to part company with, personally, I'd be putting a new WD Black 500 or 750 GB drive in the MB ($52 or $62 at amazon - and 5 yr warranty), maybe longer than the MB will last).

And if you don't have a backup of that drive - I'd be doing that sooner than later.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok thanks, looks like it'll have to be a new drive then... Quite impressed that I can work off the old disk myself!

OP
I
Reaction score
I've just done a little house keeping on the iMac disk removing old user accounts & now have 93GB USED & 155GB available. Will that change things?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That should be workable since it will leave the drive with more than 20% of its space free. OS X needs some free space for swap files that get created while the machine is running. We usually recommend 15 - 20% free as a rule of thumb.

OP
I
Reaction score
I did it.

Created a recovery flash drive disk, booted up on that, partitioned the source disc to below 160gb and then restored the data filled partition to the internal disc.

I have. Working MacBook....

OP
I
Reaction score
Last item on the list on the MacBook Recovery Saga... DVD drive isn't working... Ideas??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slot load drives are notorious for failing.

However, shut it down, then take a can of air and shoot 3-4 quick bursts into the slot of the drive in different directions.
My '06 model quits reading discs about once a year and thus far that's gotten it back working again.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok DVD doesn't work... Not too worried as a flash drive or internet can do all I need. I now have a 7 year old MacBook that runs faster and is more reliable than any of the modern MS laptops in the house??.... Thanks for all the help

OP
I
Reaction score
Lesson 1 "leave well alone!!"

Tried to look at the SuperDrive, when I re assembled the MacBook, it won't switch on. The battery charges, but nothing else.

I think the keyboard flat cable may be damaged... Is this the most likely problem...?

Not even the white power light on the front lights up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.