MacBook 10,6,8

Reaction score
I may be repeating in an attempt to publish I will try again

Hello
The boss wanted me to 'clean' her MacBook. I wanted to simply insert the OS disk and do a clean install. If I press and hold the C key I end up at her desktop; if I press and hold the Option key I end up at her desktop.
I then attempted to use another setup desk OS X 10.5.4 - and I could holding the C key enter the install however the install message said this version could not be installed on this machine. I am in a business world with PCs so this is my first attempt into MacBook. If I could simply wipe all information while logged in as my boss I would but I think the clean install, starting fresh is best. The MacBook is to be a Christmas Gift for a five year old to learn computer skills - and if I could get a newly installed OS that would be great.
Thanks

Reaction score
Do you have Snow Leopard (10.6) install media? If not you can buy it from Apple.
If you really have to use the 10.5 install, boot from the media, when you get to the install screen look in the menubar and select Disk Utility.
Reformat the drive as HFS+ (journaled). Then you can install 10.5.
You cannot reinstall an older OS while the newer OS is still on the drive without reformatting.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I then attempted to use another setup desk OS X 10.5.4 - and I could holding the C key enter the install however the install message said this version could not be installed on this machine.

Sounds like you tried two disks (the 2nd one was the 10.5.4 disk). What did you try the first time?

What did these disks look like (color or graphics on the disks)?

Lastly. You need to tell us EXACTLY what model "MacBook" this is.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
@ OP: Please do not double post. Please continue the conversation here.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I did a serial number search ending with fact: ~VIN,MacBook (13-inch) which indicates it is legacy 2006 model MA254.
I have Leopard and Panther cds. Looks as though I will have to manually delete the bosses files and so forth - unless there is a download for this model.
Thanks for posting - at least I am getting informed on options.

Reaction score
What OS version is on it now? What install disks do you have? Are they black or grey?
If grey they are very model specific. You cant use just any old installer on any Mac.
If black Your macbook has these specs:
Original OS Mac OS X 10.4.6 (8I2032)
Maximum OS Mac OS X 10.6.8
So you at least need Tiger or better up to Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The big question is what is on her 'puter now? No good going to OS X.6 Snow Leopard if something even later is installed on it. If she needs OS X.6, do you have that disc? Do not use Panther or Leopard under any circumstances.

If you have the black OS X.6 disc, pop it in, reboot and hold down 'C' to access the Installer. Erase and format the drive and proceed.

If no disc, Apple Online still sells them for $20 in the US including postage.

OP
P
Reaction score
It is best to purchase the disks from Apple - format as suggested - and start fresh.
Thanks for all the comments on this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.