Macafee malware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 16GB, Sonoma 14.2.1
Hi
I recently attempted to download a music video from YouTube using a method I found by a Google search. The steps I followed seemed to correspond to the advice from the search until the 'download' button was clicked and to my horror a page popped up saying I had visited an infected page and needed to do a virus scan.

Long story short: I now have a very annoying random pop-up in the top right of my screen which takes various forms. Regardless of the actual pop-up if I click on the pop-up a purported Macafee web page appears inviting me to do a scan. Other than that, as far as I can ascertain there is no other effect though something could be going on in the background.

So, does anyone know how to rid my iMac running Sonoma 14.0 of this annoyance? Oh, and please don't suggest installing Macafee!!!
Cheers
Chris

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What browser are you using? You'll want to delete any extensions that you didn't install, clear all cache and data. Then definitely install an ad-block if you don't have installed.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 16GB, Sonoma 14.2.1
What browser are you using? You'll want to delete any extensions that you didn't install, clear all cache and data. Then definitely install an ad-block if you don't have installed.
Hi Ashwin

I'm using Safari 17.0

However I have managed to stop this annoyance by clearing all the entries in Safari Settings -> Websites -> Notifications.

Thanks for responding.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Excellent. And definitely install an ad-block extension if you aren't using one already, this will prevent this kind of thing in the future.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Oh, and please don't suggest installing Macafee!!!

Never, ever install that. It's for PCs and will only slow down and generally mess with your Mac.

I'm truly glad that you seem to be at the end of your problems.

Ian

Reaction score
So, does anyone know how to rid my iMac running Sonoma 14.0 of this annoyance?

You aren't actually "infected" with anything. You are seeing an abusive notification, that you almost certainly (but probably unknowingly) agreed to be sent to you when visiting a Web site. These have become common lately. They are easy to deal with.

You can fix it (and keep it from happening again) simply by turning off notifications in Safari:

In Safari —> Safari menu —> Preferences (or settings) --> Websites tab --> Notifications (in left column) —> deselect “Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications”

For more info:
https://tidbits.com/2023/06/26/how-to-identify-and-eliminate-abusive-web-notifications/

https://www.macworld.com/article/2110589/block-unwanted-website-notifications-mac.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.