Mac went hot while in sleep mode

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forum,

I just purchased a M1 Macbook Air yesterday. Today I received a sleeve I bought and put my Mac inside it for a while.

However I forgot I put the sleeve on my second laptop (an HP) and by doing so that led the HP to run very hot (it was charging).

As soon as I saw that I immediately get the Mac out of the sleeve, it was very hot but worked fine.

I read on Apple's website that the operating temperature is up to 35 celsius degrees but I feel that it was way above that.

Is there any risk according to you ? The mac stayed like this during approximately 2 hours.

Thanks in advance !

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for that. I mesured the heat coming from the laptop and it was 50 celsius degrees.
So it is safe I suppose.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As soon as I saw that I immediately get the Mac out of the sleeve, it was very hot but worked fine.

Not all notebook sleeves dissipate heat the same. I can understand wanting to protect your new MacBook Air, however, you need to make sure that particular sleeve you're using not only protects the MBA but allows it to "breathe".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not all notebook sleeves dissipate heat the same.

I don't know if it is related or done on purpose, but I do notice the last image at the bottom shows the MacBook Air removed from the sleeve while the person is using it. I didn't notice that being mentioned anywhere or if that is what one is supposed or expected to do.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I never put any laptop in a sleeve - especially one that is padded - and charge them. There is no way to allow the heat to dissipate.

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your contribution. Although thats not what happened here, the mac was in sleep mode and below was the hot hp laptop that diffused its heat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.