Mac-VM Fusion

Reaction score
I'm having a heck of time loading Windows 8.1 to a virtual platform. I have downloaded VM Fusion 7.1.1.2 and I have Windows 8.1 on a flash drive that I downloaded from a pc. However, I can not seem to figure out how to get the windows program on Fusion. I have tried so many ways and there are no real instructions any where on how to make this work.

I have VM fusion on another mac with windows 7 and it worked out just fine but I just got the new 27" retina 5 with Yosemite and 8 hours later I'm going out of my mind. HELP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you downloaded Windows 8.1 from Microsoft, what format did it download as? In other words, did it download as an *.exe file or iso? You can not install an *.exe file from VM Fusion but you can install an iso.

OP
T
Reaction score
it is an *.exe file I think here is what is on the flash drive:
autorun.inf
boot
bootmgr
bootmgr.efi
efi
MediaMeta.xml
setup.exe
sources
support

If I need to download Windows 8.1 as an iso I don't know how to do that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You downloaded the Windows 8.1 installer setup. If the flash drive is recognized in VMWare Fusion, you should be able to run the install setup file from it within Fusion. Have you tried that?

OP
T
Reaction score
I can't get vmware fusion to open past a dos looking screen that say: Operating system not found

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't used VMWare Fusion for quite some time but you first have to install it correctly which I assume you already have. Then you should be able to use its installer option to install Windows or any other operating system it supports. It's been some time but I do remember it was very easy to install Windows 7, pretty much automatic. If you're having problems setting up VMWare Fusion, I suggest going to their support forums for help.

Take a look at this Fusion KB article and see if it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.