mac to new mac

Reaction score
i have a macbook pro and im getting a new macbook pro. my current macbook pro has a bootcamp partition. i also have a 1 TB external hard drive and my question is how i can transfer everything from one computer to the other including the boot camp and including all the programs. i basically want my new macbook to have everything that my current one has even programs and settings etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Transferring everything from the Mac side is easy. Just use Time Machine to make a backup of everything on the old Mac. Then, when you turn on your new Mac for the first time it will ask if you wish to migrate data from another Mac. Respond yes and make sure you attach your TM backup drive.

Copying the Windows partition is another matter, however. If it were installed via a virtual machine such as Parallels or Fusion it'll transfer easily along with the Time Machine backup. Boot Camp is more complicated to do. You will need a program to copy the BC partition such as WinClone. WinClone is no longer being developed and is not entirely without its glitches. It will not work correctly if your BC partition is formatted as FAT-32. It does work fairly well if the partition is NTFS. Be sure to read directions carefully.

OP
S
Reaction score
how do i know if its fat 32 or ntfs? also are there any other programs or any other ways? i guess i could just copy all the programs that are important to me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.