Mac to mac bluetooth "The device does not have the necessary services"

Brendan12345

Reaction score
I have a new Macbook pro.
I want to send a file from my old Macbook pro (3 years old) to the new one.
I get the message that "The device does not have the necessary services". I have been using Bluetooth between my old Mac and phones and Windows computers so easily for years now. Big step backwards.

Surely to goodness????????? These are really expensive computers and then this happens. The world is going mad.
Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I don't understand? What did you do?

OP
B

Brendan12345

Reaction score
If it is foolish to expect a three year old MacBook Pro to still function then perhaps I am the biggest fool of all for buying yet another one. I hope you are wrong.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How about you explain what you are doing, how you are doing it and then we can help and stop with the dramatics.

On Apple devices of recent years, the way to transfer file is through AirDrop.

That specific message comes up from my search when you are try to connect an Android device to a Mac. And with AirDrop, there is no reason to physically connect two machines together.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Brendan12345

Welcome to our Forums. Interesting post.

Imagine we were sitting next to you. We’d probably have the problem sorted in 5 minutes. But we aren’t.

So, can you share with us exactly how & what you did previously; and what you’ve tried with the new Mac, please?

Normally, Bluetooth isn’t the usual way of transferring data. As already mentioned, AirDrop is a method that has worked for years and is likely what you need to use.

But there are others ways. Bottom line - we need more specific information.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.