• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac the Ripper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock MacBook Pro
Hello Everyone!

I started using a Mac for my Graphic Design program at college and I just fell in love with Apple. I am so inspired by how easy they are to use that I am considering switching my major to focus my studies on working for Apple someday in Product Developement or Sales.

My boring life aside, does anyone have any experience with Mac the Ripper? I try to rip DVD's (For backup purposes) and when I rip it onto my computer, it is in more of a "Data" format other than AVI or any other media format. I try to burn it with "Toast" and I'm kinda stuck on what to do. Can someone please explain the process of using mac the ripper so I could burn with Toast? Thank you very much for any clues/tips/hints that you would be able to provide for me. I hopw this is the first post of many more to come with people who love Macs just as much as I do! :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you just want to back up a DVD to another DVD, select "Full Disc Extraction" in the MODE tab and select GO. It will create a copy of the DVDs Video_TS folder to your desktop by default which you then just burn to a DVD in Toast. It won't rip to AVI or any compressed format, it simply gives you an exact duplicate of the DVD on your Hard Drive.

If you want to compress movies down and have them as independent files, dump AVI and go with MP4 format. Best Mac App for this hands down is Mediafork/Handbrake. It will do MP4, AVI or OGG, but I would stick with MP4 as it is natively supported on the Mac by iTunes and Quicktime.

You can find Mediafork/Handbrake by following the link at the bottom of my signature.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock MacBook Pro
If you just want to back up a DVD to another DVD, select "Full Disc Extraction" in the MODE tab and select GO. It will create a copy of the DVDs Video_TS folder to your desktop by default which you then just burn to a DVD in Toast. It won't rip to AVI or any compressed format, it simply gives you an exact duplicate of the DVD on your Hard Drive.

If you want to compress movies down and have them as independent files, dump AVI and go with MP4 format. Best Mac App for this hands down is Mediafork/Handbrake. It will do MP4, AVI or OGG, but I would stick with MP4 as it is natively supported on the Mac by iTunes and Quicktime.

You can find Mediafork/Handbrake by following the link at the bottom of my signature.

Thank you very much. Alright so if I want to put these files on a disk still, I would just use Mediafork/Handbrake to convert/compress the files? If I want to burn these files using toast do I just include all of the files in the drop box? Thank you very much for your help

Edit: allllright I see what you're saying, scrap Mac the ripper all together and use Mediafork/Handbrake.. Thank you very much!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock MacBook Pro
Well that brings me to another question.. If you cant burn the files extracted from mac the ripper back to a playback format then what good is the app anyways?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MacTheRipper is for ripping copy protected DVD's to the hard drive for burning to another DVD. In other words copying protected DVD's. Since that is breaking copy protection, that is a subject that is now allowed on the forums as it's against the law.

If you want a file on your hard drive of your OWN DVD's to watch on the computer, Baggss is totally correct as usual. Mediafork/Handbrake is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The files ripped from a DVD by MacTheRipper are in a playable format.

Once the extraction is complete, open DVD Player. Go to File -> Open DVD Media... and choose the VIDEO_TS folder created by MacTheRipper of the DVD you just ripped. All the DVD's features will be there, just as if you had the DVD in the drive.

The advantage here is that if, for example, you have a portable Mac, you don't have to carry a bunch of DVDs with you when you travel, and you don't run the battery down as quickly because you're not firing up the DVD drive's motor.

Additional to the other caveats about copy protection is the fact that many people on these forums have reported that some newer DVDs have copy protection that MacTheRipper can't get around.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Doesn't belong in "Anything Goes". Moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacTheRipper is for ripping copy protected DVD's to the hard drive for burning to another DVD. In other words copying protected DVD's. Since that is breaking copy protection, that is a subject that is now allowed on the forums as it's against the law.

If you want a file on your hard drive of your OWN DVD's to watch on the computer, Baggss is totally correct as usual. Mediafork/Handbrake is great.

That is not entirely true. Many folks, like my wife, use MTR to copy all disks to their Hard Drive and use HB to convert to MP4. MTR 2.6.6 has issues with copy protected DVDs and it's a crap shoot to if the copy will work on a new DVD. MTR 3.X r14 has some work around, but is still a work in progress. My wife copies a bunch of DVDs before she converts them as she only has 1 DVD drive. Many folks claim conversion speed improvements when ripping from the HDD vice the DVD. IOW, MTR is not all about circumventing copy protection by any stretch of the imagination. It is useful tool to back up DVDs that you legally own and should not be disallowed from discussion here. Granted, it can be used for nefarious purposes, but we can avoid discussing that.

MacAddict16 said:
Well that brings me to another question.. If you cant burn the files extracted from mac the ripper back to a playback format then what good is the app anyways?

The output of MTR is a Video_TS folder. That folder can be burned to a new DVD via Toast. The result will be a duplicate of the original DVD. If all you want is a DVD copy then this is the way to go.

Handbrake/Mediafork is for converting and compressing to a different format (MP4) with a significantly smaller file size for viewing on your Mac, an iPod, a PSP or an AppleTV. You can copy the MP4 files to a data DVD which is essentially just storage and will not play in a commercial DVD player.

Right now, I'm not 100% clear on what you want to do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is not entirely true. Many folks, like my wife, use MTR to copy all disks to their Hard Drive and use HB to convert to MP4. MTR 2.6.6 has issues with copy protected DVDs and it's a crap shoot to if the copy will work on a new DVD. MTR 3.X r14 has some work around, but is still a work in progress. My wife copies a bunch of DVDs before she converts them as she only has 1 DVD drive. Many folks claim conversion speed improvements when ripping from the HDD vice the DVD. IOW, MTR is not all about circumventing copy protection by any stretch of the imagination. It is useful tool to back up DVDs that you legally own and should not be disallowed from discussion here. Granted, it can be used for nefarious purposes, but we can avoid discussing that.

I very well know that, but there are forum rules so pointed out the obvious so the OP would not break the rules here. Sure it can be used for what you stated as well. And yes, some of the latest DVD's will not rip due to newer and newer Copy Protection. I could name it but feel I should not here. There will be a new MTR soon that will take care of that issue though. By the way just in case, I am not doubting or against what you said. I have the greatest respect for you in fact. This subject for me is hard on good forums to reply to and I am always very careful. I hope I was this time.

I think the OP wants to rip it to the hard drive in a smaller playable file like MP4.

I have seen this here many times in the past and also seen it stated that even if you own the DVD and it's for your own usage, you can't break the protection, so to help keep Mac Forums safe, I said very little. I respect the forums here and don't want to state anything that can hurt this place. In truth I know a LOT about the whole issue and have my feelings (Quite Strong) on it also! :spook: I will just say this, I feel FOR MY OWN USAGE, if they are my DVD's there should be no law stopping me from backup. Piracy? Yes that should not be allowed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock MacBook Pro

The output of MTR is a Video_TS folder. That folder can be burned to a new DVD via Toast. The result will be a duplicate of the original DVD. If all you want is a DVD copy then this is the way to go.

Handbrake/Mediafork is for converting and compressing to a different format (MP4) with a significantly smaller file size for viewing on your Mac, an iPod, a PSP or an AppleTV. You can copy the MP4 files to a data DVD which is essentially just storage and will not play in a commercial DVD player.

Right now, I'm not 100% clear on what you want to do.

Thank you for sticking up for me.

No one ever said anything about any piracy. I still dont know the complete set of rules when it comes to that subject but its good that you guys keep a pretty safe forum for informational purposes. I dont know if I am suppose to talk about this hear but i did read in rolling stone magazine about "www.thepiratebay.org" and how they are trying every way they can to get around copyright infringement.

You guys, I honestly mean no harm at all, im still new to the computer world and i promise i am one of the most friendly guys you will ever come accross. Most of the DVD's I backup anyways are performances of our band at church. I'll learn more of the rules as we go, thanks for your patience.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for sticking up for me.

No one ever said anything about any piracy. I still dont know the complete set of rules when it comes to that subject but its good that you guys keep a pretty safe forum for informational purposes. I dont know if I am suppose to talk about this hear but i did read in rolling stone magazine about "www.thepiratebay.org" and how they are trying every way they can to get around copyright infringement.

You guys, I honestly mean no harm at all, im still new to the computer world and i promise i am one of the most friendly guys you will ever come accross. Most of the DVD's I backup anyways are performances of our band at church. I'll learn more of the rules as we go, thanks for your patience.

By the way, was not accusing you at all of an piracy. Just wanted to point that out in case since I do not know you and did not want you to get in trouble here on the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I very well know that, but there are forum rules so pointed out the obvious so the OP would not break the rules here. Sure it can be used for what you stated as well. And yes, some of the latest DVD's will not rip due to newer and newer Copy Protection. I could name it but feel I should not here. There will be a new MTR soon that will take care of that issue though. By the way just in case, I am not doubting or against what you said. I have the greatest respect for you in fact. This subject for me is hard on good forums to reply to and I am always very careful. I hope I was this time.

I think the OP wants to rip it to the hard drive in a smaller playable file like MP4.

I have seen this here many times in the past and also seen it stated that even if you own the DVD and it's for your own usage, you can't break the protection, so to help keep Mac Forums safe, I said very little. I respect the forums here and don't want to state anything that can hurt this place. In truth I know a LOT about the whole issue and have my feelings (Quite Strong) on it also! :spook: I will just say this, I feel FOR MY OWN USAGE, if they are my DVD's there should be no law stopping me from backup. Piracy? Yes that should not be allowed.

Nah, I got ya. I just don't want people thinking that any mention of MTR proves, or even suggests, that one is engaged in illegal activities. The rule here is rather specific:

Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

but I think that prohibiting any discussion of this particular App is a bit much to be honest. If we are going to push it that far then the last 3 lines of my sig are probably technically a violation of that rule as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock MacBook Pro
By the way, was not accusing you at all of an piracy. Just wanted to point that out in case since I do not know you and did not want you to get in trouble here on the forums.

It's all good. I completley understand. Thank you for looking out for me though. I owe ya one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.