Mac taking a long time to shut down

Reaction score
Hi all, had my macbook pro a few months and love it. At first i was really impressed with the boot up and shut down speeds
but lately it has sarted taking far longer to shut down! its quite annoying really. I always close any open programs before shut down
so can anyone advise why this may be happening?

many thanks

Dave.

oops think i spelt shut incorrectly in the title!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One quick question. Why so much shutting down. Just put it to sleep.:)

- Nick

p.s. Fixed title.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I hardly ever shut down, just if it's needed for an update.

M

MacInWin

I also don't shut down very often. Just let it sleep or close the lid. However, if you have a lot of external drives attached, they can slow down the shutdown process as each one has to be unmounted.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just to address your shutdown issue here are a few questions:

1. have you added any new software to the Mac between the time that it worked well and now?
2. Do you have any external disk drives connected? If so, do you have the same problem with them disconnected.
3. If you open Disk Utility and run Disk First Aid are there any errors are reported?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi all,
thanks for the help.
I always shut down when i've finished using it .....I guess because thats the way I used my windows laptop. I assume by the replys there is no need to shut down each time with a mac!

I don't believe I have installed any software since it used to shut down in a few seconds
I have no external drives connected
Just ran the first aid program and it didn't find any errors

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you don't mind, what are the specs of your mac? How much free space is on your hard drive? Have you updated the OS, or is it still running the OS that came with it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At first i was really impressed with the boot up and shut down speeds
but lately it has sarted taking far longer to shut down! its quite annoying really.

When you say that "it has started taking far longer to shut down"…how much time are we talking in minutes/seconds (best estimate)?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say it has gone from a few seconds to about a minute

Thanks…that helps. When you shut down the computer…before it actually shuts down…the computer does some "house-keeping" before shutting down. And I believe the more "stuff" or the longer the period of time since the last shutdown…and maybe even the amount of ram the computer has...the longer it can take to shut down.

There's plenty of free storage on the computer…so it's not that. I would suggest running the free maintenance app called "Onyx"…and see if that helps.

- Nick

p.s. Otherwise…"Sleep" the computer…not really necessary to shut down each time you are thru with the computer.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.