Mac server vm on windows host, oaky or totally bad idea?

Reaction score
I’m Mac through and through, but a little short on hardware and money at the moment. I’m running macOS Sierra server on older iMac right now, but can’t upgrade to High Sierra server. I’m hosting a private website and wiki/collaborative functions and vpn - still really small scale. I’m also using it in large part to get familiar with Mac server and functionality/performance. I do happen to have plenty of room on a Windows 10 pro HP I have. I was thinking of trying to run the Mac server (likely upgrading to High Sierra server) as a VM on the HP, either as Hyper V, VMware Workstation, or even VirtualBox. I know you can run MacOS High Sierra with VMware or VirtualBox on PC, but not sure how that performs on the Windows host. Is this just really bad idea to run Mac server on windows host? I’d actually like to know if anyone has been happy running regular macOS on Windows host.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Once you are within the VM, it doesn't matter what the host is.

OP
D
Reaction score
I guess my real question was if the macOS server would function as well as a virtual machine than a full blown machine. I loaded it up, and it has been working well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.