Reaction score
Own a working Mac Pro running OS 10.6.8. It's been paired, since new, with Apple 23 inch HD Cinema Display. As of today, when I started the Mac, the monitor did not respond. Nothing on the screen. Also noticed the small white light at bottom right on front of monitor was intermittently blinking on/off. I presume, that light indicates the monitor is on. In this case it's just blinking on/off. Would it be a fair assumption to say the monitor is on its way out? And, if that is the situation, what other monitors would work in place of the Cinema Display? Recommendation?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Recommendation?

First step is to verify that your current monitor is not working. Either:

- Try your 23" Cinema Display on a 2nd computer to see if it works on the 2nd computer.
- Try a 2nd monitor (known working) with your Mac Pro.

Until you do this...there's always the possibility your Mac Pro has an issue (not the monitor)....video card, power supply, etc.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I presume, that light indicates the monitor is on. In this case it's just blinking on/off. Would it be a fair assumption to say the monitor is on its way out? /QUOTE]

The specific problem can depend on the frequency and pattern of the flashing light.

Have a look here at some of the hits:
Apple 23 inch HD Cinema Display power light just blinking on/off
Apple 23 inch HD Cinema Display power light just blinking on/off - Google Search

And maybe even specifically such a site as this on:
How to: Fix Short-Long-Short Apple Cinema Display
YouTube

First step though, try shutting both the Monitor and Mac down, wait at least 30 seconds, then try powering them both back up.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
If your monitor is "dead" then I can recommend a 28" Samsung 4K one. I've been using mine as a second display connected to my iMac for 9 months or so with no issues.

Extremely reasonable price and the picture is really good too, with HDMI and mini display port inputs. Negatives are no speakers and no USB outputs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.