MAC Pro Intel Quad Xeon ( Aug 2006 to Jan 2008 series ) - Dual Graphics

Reaction score
Hello. I have noticed in the Serial number specification on this Mac Silver Tower that it may be possible to have two graphics cards running so that you could use four monitors. I was originally thinking of buying the Matrox TripleHead2Go but the requirements seem a bit misleading for this model.

The Graphics card fitted is NVIDIA Ge Force7300 GT256MB. Will any other MAC Graphics card work or does it have to be the exact same type

As a second Graphics card is a lower cost, I wondered if anyone has ever done this

Thanks in advance

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That card is a very weak, standard option.

In my Mac Pro days I liked an ATI Radeon 4700HD with 1GB of memory. It was a flashed PC card. The problem is getting power to the second card, as it needs two power leads. Standard cards would be the Radeon 5700 and 5800, and the nVidia 120GTX.

If you think they will be cheaper, check again. For mine the 7300GT is so poor, I would just replace. I don't think it will have the power to run addition monitors.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello.. Thanks for the reply. I am not so worried about the actual performance as it is just for displaying still pictures. Did you use 2 cards in your setup?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Harry I had a machine with that 7200 graphics card in it IIRC the card had two ports. If performance is not a significant concern could that card drive a second monitor off of the same card? I don't remember ever trying that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello. Just to clarify, the NVIDIA Ge Force7300 does have 2 ports which are connected to 2 monitors. I now have a requirement for a third monitor. The System specification says that this system can have additional graphics card added to allow for more monitors. So was wondering if any had actually Fitted 2 graphics card in this system so that there are 4 ports for 4 monitors..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for clarifying that. I misread the post and did not realize you were trying to add a third monitor. If you were only going to add a second monitor I was hoping that connecting it to the existing card might save you a few bucks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have noticed in the Serial number specification on this Mac Silver Tower that it may be possible to have two graphics cards running so that you could use four monitors.

As a second Graphics card is a lower cost, I wondered if anyone has ever done this.

You can actually install up to 4 video cards...and run up to 8 monitors simultaineously. Yes...I've done it (just for fun)...don't really need 8 monitors!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I was not referring to the DVI ports on the card, the motherboard on Mac Pro 1.1 only had a dual power take off. Where would one connect the additional three cards Nick?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was not referring to the DVI ports on the card, the motherboard on Mac Pro 1.1 only had a dual power take off. Where would one connect the additional three cards Nick?

In the title of the thread...OP mentioned "MAC Pro Intel Quad Xeon ( Aug 2006 to Jan 2008 series)"...a period of time as you know that covers Mac Pro 1,1's, 2,1's, and 3,1's. OP never actually said which exact Mac Pro model they have. I was basically answering the question about multiple displays & multiple videos cards being possible.

If OP used only NVIDIA GeForce 7300 video cards...as far as I remember...the 7300 video card does not need a separate dedicated power cable (just insert into PCI slot). Also our favorite info site (Everymac.com) mention's Mac Pro 1,1's, 2,1's, and 3,1's as being able to have 4 video cards installed and up to 8 monitors.:)

- Nick

p.s.
If OP wanted to run 4 higher powered video cards that needed a separate power cable for each video card (for example the Radeon x1900)...then 4 installed video cards wouldn't work. Of course the x1900 also is wider/taller card...and takes up two PCI slots (one slot is blocked by the card).

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello.. I much appreciate all the input. I am not a MAC user.. I only help out with some editing with a friends who has a small studio so I don't have access to the MAC all the time, but his Broadband has been off for several days due to some roadwork's that went wrong so hence I am trying to help him with the questions.

The actual MAC is Apple Mac Pro "Quad Core" 2.66 (Original) Specs - Serial CK7120JWUPZ

Identifiers: Mac Pro - MA356LL/A - MacPro1,1* - A1186 - 2113

Without having at look later in the week I do not know if the card that's fitted ( Graphics = NVIDIA Ge Force7300 GT256MB ) as reported in the About Mac has additional Power connector to it.

Looking at some pictures of the card it does look like it have an additional edge connecter for something but I will take a look on Friday to inspect the connections when I am at the location.

Once again, I much appreciate your guidance.. Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello.. Just to update everyone.. I did buy another card ( NVIDIA Ge Force7300 GT256MB - £38 Delivered ) and installed it today.. Works fine,, Now with FCP 7, I can now have two screen for the FCP 7 ( Time lines on One screen and the Main Program on the other screen ) and also DVI-D to HDMI to the Large screen TV, Works a treat,

It does NOT NEED any additional Power connected to the card, The original one did not and the second card did not, Both work fine,,,

Thanks everyone for your input,, :)

Regards

John

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats John. It's very cool (and very functional) having all that extra screen realestate!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.