Mac Pro A1186 2,1 - EFI EEPROM location ?

Reaction score
Hello,

My Mac Pro won't boot anymore, I am getting chime, and upon checking the diagnostic LED's, the trickle power and GPU LED's are ON.
none of the CPU LED's indicating issues are ON.
But also the EFI DONE LED IS OFF - so I tried restoring firmware using the CD I burned from Apple support site, with no luck, I tried using two different CD drives to be sure.

That leads me to thinking that the EEPROM holding the EFI firmware may be dead, and I'm willing to reflash and in the worst case replace the chip.
Thing is, I can't find it on the motherboard. I even found another post (http://www.amibay.com/archive/index.php/t-52171.html) but it seems that's a different version of motherboard, so the location pictured does not help me.

Please help if you know the location of the chip.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

We have some members who own and are familiar with Mac Pros so hopefully they will respond to your question. In the meantime you might want to go to www.ifixit.com and check to see if they show a picture of your particular logic board. You can also post a help question on their site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.