Mac Pro 5,1 won't boot with no chime.

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm running a 2009 Mac Pro (Flashed to 5,1) with 12.7.2 2x3.46Ghz, 64GB Ram and a vega 56.

Today I had a screen freeze / crash and subsequent boots result in powering up (all fans and gfx card fans running), but no chime and no boot. I've tried resetting PRAM but I guess it doesn't get that far to accomplish anything as it doesn't get to the chime.

I have troubleshooted as much as I can, removed all cards / hdds, swapped out the gfx card for a gt120 (I think thats what it was called, unsure, an original oem one), no change.

I've removed all but 1 RAM and tested different RAMs to see if RAM failure, no change.

I found a reference online to a troubleshoot to check the CPU by removing all of the RAM cards, if the LED power light blinks it means the CPU is alive. I did this and the LED remained constant, if this is an accurate test and If I'm doing it correctly then this obviously points to one of the CPUs, but I'm not sure?

I recorded the LED diag lights but I can't find info on the correct interpretation of them. You can find it here:

I appreciate that this rig is getting old now and parts are going to fail (I've already replaced my fair share), but just narrowing down and confirming what exactly has failed if possible will help decide my next steps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.