MAC & PC network help needed.

Reaction score
Hello guys, Im relatively new mac and networking for that matter!

Im having trouble seeing my mac on my Windows 7 PC, I guess the beginning is a good place to start, so here is what iv done.

On my macbook, iv gone to system preferences/network/airport/advanced/WINS and put in the name of my workgroup "WORKGROUP" and put my gateway ip in for the winservers.

But not seeing the mac on the PC or visa-versa ......have searched the forum and seen this post

I've been struggling all week trying to share a drive out from a mac and mount it remotely onto a windows 7 machine. Also I haven't been able to see any of my macs in the network in windows explorer on the windows 7 machine.

Eventually I found a solution, which I thought others may find useful.

Goto Start Menu
Search for: Local
Hit Enter
Select Local Security Policy
Goto Local Policies> Security Options
Double Click on Network security: LAN Manager Authentication
Change level to: Send LM # LTLM Responses

Then,

Goto Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
De-select Require 128-bit encryption
Hit OK

But still no luck.......any chance of a little help, as all i want to be able to do is move files back and forth from the Mac to PC, and visa-versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Have you turned on SMB file sharing? (System Preferences - Sharing - File Sharing - Options - SMB).

You could also be having some master browser contentions which is a problem a lot of people have had with 10.6 - try turning on SMB sharing and see if it clears up...

OP
P
Reaction score
Yep, got the SMB ticked.
Picture1-2.png

After a restart the mac is showing up on my network.....but when i try to access it i get the following and nothing come back from running the diagnostic.
1-11.gif

2-7.gif

Thought I would also show my mac setting to in case any of you can spot something wrong.......im baffled.
Picture2-1.png

Picture3-2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hmm, try sharing your public folder with everyone permissions rather then the Mac HD itself, I've never tried to share the root HD on a mac before, usually on windows they are shared as administrative shares that are hidden (ie: to access the C:\ share, you'd look for \\computername\c$)

If you don't have any other Apples on your network, you might as well turn off AFP, you don't need it on.

Some people reported having some success by turning the sharing off then back on.

I had a long thread at apple forums about this general topic, let me see if I can find the link and add it into this thread.

edit: addlink for apple forums thread...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2141888&tstart=0

I did notice I had more trouble seeing systems when on wifi then on wired lan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.