Mac OS X Yosemite Bug

Reaction score
Lately ever since installing 10.10.1 (which didn't even help with the internet issue) everytime I turn on my Mac and go to my profile (I'm using the guest profile as of writing this) my computer just freezes and cursor goes into the usual rainbow ball. Whenever this happens I can't open apps or do anything, it just stays frozen for God knows how long. It's really bugging me and I can't even do anything on my Mac because of the bugs.

M

MacInWin

Not bugs, it's not happening to everyone. It's something in your startup profile. You can avoid that by booting into Safe Mode then got to System Preferences/User & Groups, pick your account and then look at what you have starting at Login. I would recommend deleting everything (click the "-" to do that, and then reboot. If that works, you can add them back one at a time until the problem recurs, then repeat the safe boot, remove the last one you entered and look for an update to a Yosemite version of whatever it is.

Reaction score
If you're running fine as guest it's not Yosemite, it's something in your account.
Restart holding down the shift key to get into safe mode and login into your account.
Look in Users and Groups in System preferences and disable all startup items.
Put them back one at a tine until you find the one giving problems.

Edit:**** Jake you type faster than me :)

OP
C
Reaction score
I have done so and I still kinda get those slowdown problems. I was thinking it's probably all those files I had gotten from Maverick and it's messing up with Yosemite and I have read that many people got around problems doing a "clean install", I want to try it out but I don't know what would happen if I do a clean install (though my guess would be that it'll erase everything I have in my Mac).

M

MacInWin

Just to make sure, you highlighted each logon item and clicked the "-" button and now there is nothing of the logon box? Not just unchecked, but gone?

Yes, clean means the drive is erased. Your files, pictures, music, apps, everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.