Mac OS X Saving to a Network Drive

Reaction score
The setup here is simple.

I have a QNAP TS-259 and several Macs (all running Mac OS X) and several PCs (running a combination of Windows XP and Vista).

The QNAP is currently running as a centralised data storage location for general files that need to be shared accross the network.

For some reason, when I save files from any of the Mac OS X machines to the QNAP, when I open up a Windows machine to open the file (whether it is an image, a document or something else), it seems to save the file as a system file and a hidden file. This isn't a problem for me - I use the attrib command to remove these, but if I'm not around, it isn't ideal.

So, why is this happening, and how can I stop this happening?

Sorry for the long first post!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Is it using AFP or SMB for shares?

The problem has to do with Mac OS X resource and data forks. Windows can't deal with the way OS X stores data. On the Mac the resource forks aren't seen. The NAS doesn't know how to handle the resource forks. The resource forks contain the meta data and resources like icon and information related to what program to open the file with since Macs don't care as much about file extensions like Windows does.

OP
T
Reaction score
Is it using AFP or SMB for shares?

The problem has to do with Mac OS X resource and data forks. Windows can't deal with the way OS X stores data. On the Mac the resource forks aren't seen. The NAS doesn't know how to handle the resource forks. The resource forks contain the meta data and resources like icon and information related to what program to open the file with since Macs don't care as much about file extensions like Windows does.

Thank you very much for your post.

I believe it is using SMB for the shares.

I understand about the forks and Windows not knowing how to handle these and have accepted these are present and I have to put up with it.

What I meant was the actual file. E.g. I create and save a word document - 'something.docx' on my PC and save it to the network drive. Then I am using a mac and edit it and save those edits. I then go back to a PC which then can't see it as anything other than a hidden and as a system file.

Any ideas?

Cheers

The Moose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
That's weird, the only things that should be hidden really at that point (which windows will usually hide by default unless you've enabled show hidden files and show system files) would be the resource forks and .DS files (which you can remove the .DS files via a terminal command, or you can get Blueharvest to handle keeping all of your external/thumb/network drives clean of the . files that OSX creates for its own house keeping).

I've never had my OSX systems on my Windows networks flag the files as hidden and/or system files... Have you tried files of other extensions (ie: xls?) and not the Office 07 standards of docx, xlsx, etc.?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.