• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac OS X - only a system pack?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
Well, I was talking to my Dad, he was doing some research and he found out that Mac OS X 10.1 and above are all the same operating system as OS Classic but upgraded.

Im kinda confused.. if someone can help me thanks!

wierd lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Um, right.

OS X.

X being the Roman numeral for 10.

Which is after 9.

"Classic" refers to OS 9, emulated on OS X.

Major updates are 10.n, while smaller updates are 10.9.n.

"n" being a specific integer.

Edited to add: 10.n upgrades cost money and are named after large cats. 10.9.n. updates are free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 60GB HD, 512MB RAM
Yes, they are the same operating system. Mac OS. OS X is just a redesigned version. I've used OS 9 as a kid in school and judging by what I saw, they're completely different from each other.

But yes, they are the same operating system, just upgraded. OS X isn't a different operating system from OS 9.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Kinda like vista is XP, XP is Win 2000, etc. but upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
In fact it's a pretty front end for a unix OS.

:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Yes, they are the same operating system. Mac OS. OS X is just a redesigned version. I've used OS 9 as a kid in school and judging by what I saw, they're completely different from each other.

But yes, they are the same operating system, just upgraded. OS X isn't a different operating system from OS 9.

They are completely different but the same? :eek:

Sorry, they _are_ completely different. OSX is FreeBSD based, previous ones weren't. OSX and System 9 are the about the same as DOS6.22/Windows 3.1 and Linux are the same. Which is to say, not at all.

Reaction score
Yes, they are the same operating system. Mac OS. OS X is just a redesigned version. . . . OS X isn't a different operating system from OS 9.
There may be some confusion here because Apple's name is attached to both.

OS X from the beginning, not simply after 10.1, is a version of UNIX, and its similarities to pre-X Apple systems are a lot more than accidental. They're programmed in to make X look and act in a way that's reminiscent of previous systems. But it's only skin deep.

The Queen Mary 2 could be called an updated dugout canoe because they both float. :Oops: (That makes Windows the Titanic, but let's not go there.)

Reaction score
Hello, first well said MHC, OS 9 and X are different enough that "classic" apps won't run on X. If you google BSD Os X is listed among them. Nextstep is Unix based and according to Wikipedia, OS X is Nextstep improved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.