Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer

Reaction score
Hi everyone....

i have seen this problem all over the internet at every forum but none of them has any working solution hope this thread will help me....

I have formatted my hard disk to reinstall my mac OS X Tiger..... and after formatting when i went to re-install the OS, after selecting language a pop up appears in the installer which says that Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer ??? and it doesn't say WHY :Angry:

i have read at many forums that this might be due to using a non retail version (some other mac specific) of setup.... but in my case i am using my original setup CD which came with my macbook...

i have also reformatted my disc multiple times using Extended journaled option and partition scheme is always GUID by default....

please help forum.... :|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you absolutely sure that is the OSX 10.4 DVD that came with your Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to mac Forums.
If you are sure that you're using the discs that came with your computer, you may want to try zeroing out your drive.
I can't guarantee that this will work, but I have heard that on rare occasions, even after reformatting the drive, some data can be left behind that causes this to happen, even when you are using the correct discs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to mac Forums.
If you are sure that you're using the discs that came with your computer, you may want to try zeroing out your drive.
I can't guarantee that this will work, but I have heard that on rare occasions, even after reformatting the drive, some data can be left behind that causes this to happen, even when you are using the correct discs.

unfortunately i have tried zeroing option aswell but nothing helped...

i don't know why the **** worst case scenarios are for me.... :(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What are the specs of the Mac you are trying to install on? Also are there any scratches on the disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
yes... i am using the only cd that came with my macbook... :(

CD? Surely DVD, black faced if it's a generic disc, grey with the specific machine printed on it in white for original install disc, and there will usually be 2 of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What are the specs of the Mac you are trying to install on? Also are there any scratches on the disc?

Exactly ... Let's answer the question above first.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I imagine the specs may play a part, but I wouldn't think this message would pop up due to scratches.... rather an installation stalling if that were the case! I could be wrong, but that is my 2cents on it:$

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Mac OS X Can't Be Installed

Guys, I'm having a severe problem here, I tried to install Snow Leopard on my old Macbook 13" (the white one), and stupidly enough started by erasing the hard-drive and formating it using the disc utility. and now I'm realizing that I don't have the original disk to re-install and the Snow-Leopard would not install either...

I've already worked on resolving it for 2 days, please please please tell me anything you know about why it would install it with a retail version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you gone into Partition in Disk Utility6, selected the number of partitions, even if one, selected options and then GUID and formatted the drive?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reboot with the Snow Leopard disc, follow the instruction in the link by cwa107 above.

If that doesn't work, then get back and you need to tell us what it does and when, not just that it didn't work.

Reaction score
I've followed the step by step in the article CWA provided, and I reboot from the Snow Leopard disk, it loads the language selection screen, I choose english (the first option), and it starts installation for one second and then a window pops up saying: "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer". I have no time-machine backup to go out of this loop.

Hope I'm describing the situation clearly.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Where did the disc come from that you are using? If it is one that shipped with another computer, it is not going to work.

If it never even takes you to the next screen (so that you can go to Disk Utility from the menu bar) prior to installation beginning after selecting the language, sounds like this is not a full retail version disc.

Reaction score
It is the retail version 10.6.2, I'm loading it through USB because the superdrive is toast. I did a quick test to see if the porting to the USB worked and run it on my other macbook and it starts running, but on the one I want to install it I still get the "Mac OS X can't install...."

By the way: once I cancel the error window, it let's me approach the Disk Utility and other key menu items.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And after you have access to Disk Utility, you have opened it up and gone through the steps in the link provided by cwa107? All or them, but particularly items 6 & 7? It must be set to GUID partition scheme, then partition the drive.

Reaction score
And after you have access to Disk Utility, you have opened it up and gone through the steps in the link provided by cwa107? All or them, but particularly items 6 & 7? It must be set to GUID partition scheme, then partition the drive.

Yes, followed this guide, step-by-step. reformatted the drive maybe 10 times already... always as GUID, even thought that the name of the drive itself maybe relevant.

Just to be clear, is there any chance this computer requires the original disk? or should the retail version do the job? if it's previous Mac OS version was 10.5.8, can I install the 10.6 directly?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There should not be a problem doing a clean install of 10.6 with the retail disc on any Intel Mac.

If you've worked through that, think my next suggestion would be to get on the phone and call Apple. Other than those already noted, the only other reason I'm aware of for that particular message would be if trying to install on a PPC machine instead of an Intel Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.