Mac OS startup drive is missing. Cannot boot into Mac

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Very annoying issue on my mac book pro 2012. I have bootcamp running windows 8 with Mac osX. I was updating osx to Yosemite, but failed with an error message stating it would make windows unbootable. So I restarted the computer, and now I can only see my windows partition/drive. I hold down option and only Windows show up. When I boot into windows, I still see the mac partition and on drive D in windowns, all the files from Mac is still there. How do I boot into mac?

I deleted Mac Recovery HD partition and I also don't have mac CD. so what now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You can only boot into OS X if you have the OS installed and the disk is bootable.
By deleting the Mac recovery partition you are now forced to install a new instance of OS X on your drive.
Do you have a ( Bootable ) backup of all your data ?
Looks like you are going to need it .

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Sorry to say i feel sorry for you because thats not the worst of it.

Even if you reinstall mac os x yosemite you will lose your copy of windows 8 and before you think you can just reinstall it again just a interesting reminder

(windows 8 only allows one product activation after of which you have to call microsoft and hope they will activate it for you if not you have to purchase a new copy of windows 8.1)

Because as of fri of last week microsoft has announced that they have stopped selling windows 7 and windows 8 and shifted to windows 8.1 and windows 10 dev preview.

have fun i wish i had all of this information see in my case this happened amazon sent me a brand new copy of windows 8 i only purchase direct from amazon no other sellers ever on software to much piracy
i installed windows 8 on a amd machine with a x64 processor after installing 8 microsoft a few weeks later went to windows 8.1 the installer for windows 8.1 told me i couldn't install it because i didn't have the see3 enabled processor so i upgraded the processor fully well knowing i had to reinstall windows 8 because it would deactivate the copy of windows and report my license key as illegal thanks to always online drm
reinstalled my copy of windows 8 tried to activate told me i had to call microsoft i did got it activated no problems updated to windows 8.1 sorry your copy of windows cannot be activated because you have reached your activation limit called microsoft sorry your serial number is blocked we can sell you a new one at 250.00 went back to windows 7

OP
Q
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Sounds too much of a hassle so I just threw out my Mac Pro and ordered a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Next time you have cash to burn, make sure you throw the MacBook Pro in my direction.
I am sure I would have erased the disk and installed a new OS at no cost :)
Then restored from backup.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Thanks for the help. Sounds too much of a hassle so I just threw out my Mac Pro and ordered a new one.

Oh!!!! NO!!!! Throw it my way! A reinstall is sooooooo much easier in OS X than Microsoft and if you order new, you will have to recreate and install Windows anyway.

But if your 2012 Mac needs a new home..... let me know!

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds too much of a hassle so I just threw out my Mac Pro and ordered a new one.

Yes…I'm sure you did. If you're going to be immature about things…you know where the door is! And if you don't…I would be glad to show you where it is!

Nobody throws out a perfectly working 2012 computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Unless we has a troll?

OP
Q
Reaction score
Yes…I'm sure you did. If you're going to be immature about things…you know where the door is! And if you don't…I would be glad to show you where it is!

Nobody throws out a perfectly working 2012 computer.

- Nick

Your definition of "perfectly working" computer is very different from mine. No need for me to lie about anything as I see no point in lying to strangers on the internet. Since my product is far from "perfectly working" I'm justified in my actions on solving this issue the fastest possible way.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Pretty sad really, fixing the issues involved although expensive due to recent Microsoft policy would have taken about 1 day max. Setting up a new Mac Book is going to take almost as long and cost much more.
While I dream of a new MBP but obviously can't afford it this guy throws his away. I hope he threw it to some deserving person with more patience/time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.