Mac OS stability

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
Are there many errors when running OS X? What about programs not responding. How often does this occur? I too am curious how stable they are.

KP's don't worry me too much.

Not really any at all. I have only had to force quit an application once in about 4 months.

I have never had an error from OS X. However, I did have one slight hiccup about a month back. When I was looking on a shared drive on my fiances computer which runs XP, XP suddenly decided it didn't want to be part of the network, fair enough, however it also caused the finder in OS X to lock up. The moral of the story is don't look at shared Windows folders unless absolutely necessary!

Apart from that it has been extremely stable and as said before, in the rare occasion you do get an unresponsive program then it will force quit it immediately, not say 10 minutes later like on XP.

Reaction score
Not really any at all. I have only had to force quit an application once in about 4 months.

I have never had an error from OS X.

Wow, I wish I lived in your world. I've had a G5 stop working completley just b/c I moved it from one cubicle to another. I've spent hours setting up a user, plugged in a scanner and got a beach ball of doom that wouldn't go away (after thirty minutes I had to power the machine off which resulted in that flashing disk icon on boot up so I had to set it up all over again). Not to mention all the unexpectedly quit errors, printers dropping, etc.. I keep hearing how great Macs are but I haven't seen why yet.

M

MacHeadCase

I've moved my iMac G5 from one room to another about a month ago. I didn't see anything go wrong yet. I even applied the iTunes and QuickTime updates yesterday and it's still running well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Kernel Panics usually mean that something is wrong somewhere with the hardware, which can happen with any computer.

When there's nothing wrong with the hardware Macs tend to be much more stable than Windows machines.

Thanks to those of you who helped explain kernel panic causes a little better. I have a Belkin 7-port USB hub that often acts strange when I add or remove cables, for example, and I recall one kernel panic when I turned my external HD on, so I'm quite sure external hardware issues are the problem.

Anyhow, what I really wanted to clarify from my original post is even though I DO get kernel panics on occasion, my Mini works no differently after I restart it than it did before the KP. In other words, when I worked on all the different Windows platforms, there would almost always be something 'different' after a "blue screen of death" or any other situation requiring a reboot. Like certain programs would crash more, freeze-ups would be more frequent, overall performance would grow gradually slower over time -- you other Windows and ex-Windows users know what I'm talking about! And worst of all, more blue screens as time went on.

I like how when an app freezes up on a Mac, the whole computer doesn't freeze up! I've only ever had to do a force quit of the app in such instances and everything else runs like normal. And I also like how, as I mentioned, even a kernel panic doesn't seem to affect the Mac's operation in any way after a restart. So yeah, I don't like to have to reboot for any reason, but since doing so hasn't affected my Mini's performance yet I'm not really bothered doing so anymore.

I still have Windows "shell-shock", I guess, meaning that when I had my first Mac kernel panic I expected things to not work so well after the restart, but this has never been the case yet on my Mac. So I know I've made a short story long, but I wanted to clarify this to anyone still worried about Mac OS stability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.