Mac OS 9???

Reaction score
I've a G4 running with Mac OS X which means I can't use a scanner which requires Mac OS 9 - can I reload the original Mac OS 9 to sit alongside OS X without losing anything?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which Mac G4 do you own? The older G4 Powermacs will allow the booting of OS9 but the last few will not. You can try Classic mode.

Reaction score
You can have both on the same drive.

This link and this link are to articles on Apple's site.

Don't run any OS 9 repair utilities, such as Norton or DiskWarrior. They'll wreck OS X.

You'd need 9.2.2 to run Classic under OS X.

M

MacHeadCase

Which scanner is this? You might find it less of a hassle to use a third-party driver for your scanner.

Check out VueScan and look at the list of supported scanners. You can try it in demo mode to see if it'll work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I have both OS9 and OSX and my HP scanner/printer/fax/copier does not work in Classic Mode. HP Tech. Support did not want to touch it, so the time and effort put in to make it work in Classic may not be worth it.
It works well in OS9 and OSX separately, though, so I have to switch between systems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.