Mac Os 8.0

Y

YYZ

Hello:

I acquired this older mac clone Umax J700 604e processor/180mhz...I powered it up and it had the disk icon with a flashing question mark...Then I got MAC OS 8.0 put the CD in and held down shift while booting...when I click on Install mac OS 8..and then continue, it says INVALID DRIVE NOT SUPPORTED...SCSI..It's Quantum Fireball 2gb...I'm more familiar with Windows operating system..I'm new to the MAC world...The computer has no system software on it..Is there anyway I can download drivers to my PC off the internet ..then transfer to the MAC...I need the Hard Disk drivers to run OS 8.0...I will eventually upgrade the processor and OS...just want to get an OS on it right now....What's the best thing I should do?

Thanks....

Reaction score
Have you tried formatting the drive? Run Disk Utility and see if it can see the drive. If there's nothing on it that you need, try initializing it, then re-try installing the system. Also you could run Norton or DiskWarrior on it. (Actually you should try this first).

Also, to boot from the cd, hold down C not shift. (On some older Macs it might be control-option-delete. This will force it to boot from the first drive it finds with a valid system other than the hard drive.)

OP
Y

YYZ

Thanks for posting a reply....

When I turn the computer on..the screen is just grey...disc icon with ?

When I load the OS 8.0 cd ...it does say Welcome to mac OS..extensions are disabled...There is no other OS on the computer....I read on the internet that MAC OS 8.0 will only install with IDE hard drive...I have SCSI but the OS does not recognize it.....There is no software on the computer...How do I run disk Utility? I went to drive setup on the OS 8.0 CD...but the fields are greyed out....says "not supported"...Is there a way I can get drivers transferred from PC to MAC...I can download the FWB Hard Disk drivers toolkit but I'm on Windows...the Mac has no software, internet, etc......I just have the OS 8.0 CD...

Thanks....

OP
M

Matt

If Mac OS 8 doesn't support SCSI, then I suggest you get OS 7.6 or something. It's FREE from Apples website, if your computer supports that OS of course. Have a look around and see what OS'es your computer supports. It probably supports OS 9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Here is my guess…
The internal hard drive SCSI ID has to be set to 0 and it needs to be terminated. I don't know if termination is built in for the first drive on the chain or if you have to terminate the drive yourself, but it needs to be terminated.

I would first set the SCSI ID to 0 and terminate the drive. Then boot from the install cd and see if you can then use Drive Setup. If your able to see the drive (and you don't need the data) then format it and install the OS.

Here are the specs to your computer…
http://www.welovemacs.com/machinespecs-umax-supermac-j700.html

It shows the hard drive bus type as SCSI-2 (don't know if that makes any difference for the drive that you are trying to use)

Good luck!

OP
Y

YYZ

Thanks Everyone...

How do I terminate the drive? Do I disconnect it on the motherboard?...I'm new to Mac computers....The computer has no software ...I just have the OS 8.0 install disc...

Thanks

OP
B

Badger

According to Low End Mac this model must install the disk drivers using Hard Disk Toolkit (v2.0.6 or newer) not Apple's Disk Utility. If Disk Utility was used you must reformat and and install the drivers with HDT. Once the HDT driver is installed you can install the OS but don't update the drivers or you have to start over and reformat again. There is also a Umax extension that must be installed. Check LEM at www.lowendmac.com and go to your model in the section on clones. It has the details and links.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Nice link Badger.
If a person doesn't have HDT it appears that they are out of luck. On one site the info stated that you have to hold down the shift key to have a cd recognized. That's weird!

OP
Y

YYZ

Thanks for all the comments...

Yes...I have to hold the shift hey....but if I just load the CD it still comes up with Welcome to Mac OS..but does not say Extentions disabled...only says that when I hold Shift key....I do need the driver toolkit but I only have Windows PC with internet connection...Is there a way I can download to PC transfer to MAC??...My MAC Clone has no software on it...I just have MAC OS 8.0 install CD

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HDT is a commercial product, I don't think that you can download it.

There was someone on one site (can't find the site now) that claims Drive Setup 1.6 will load drivers that the J700 will recognize. If I remember correctly, they also installed System 8.5. (I think Drive Setup 1.6 is on the OS 8.5 install cd)

If you can't get HDT, try different (newer) Apple installers. You might just hit onto something.

OP
B

Badger

One thing to check before this goes too far: If you are using an OS 8 installer CD or restore CD from a specific model like an iMac or a beige G3 it probably won't work on a Umax. There is a workaround. On the restore CD is a disk image of the hard disk as it appeared from the factory (it's in the "Configurations" folder). Open the disk image and drag the contents - system folder, apps etc - to the hard disk. You should have a working OS 8 when it's finished. However, this won't solve the problem if it is a hard disk or driver issue.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
off topic, but are you a Rush fan?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.