Mac or Windows???

Reaction score
Good Evening!

Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section. If so, would appreciate directions.

I am seriously considering swapping in my two desktops and laptop...all linked with a LYNKSYS wireless router...to an all Apple system.

I have a personal one on one meeting with a mac genius this sunday at noon discuss the pros and cons.

I love the idea of consolidating everything...once and for all...for the rest of my life. All products built in the US and all tech support stateside.

I was also encouraged reading about the Parallel software.

Am I missing anything...any comments, suggestions?

Thanks!

Cheri

Reaction score
If you are talking about using a Mac Pro for multiple operating systems, I highly recommend it.

I have a quad Mac Pro at work that I run OS X, Windows XP, Vista, Ubuntu Linux, and Red Hat Linux. Part of my job is to support our company software on these OS's for our outside clients.

When the Intel Mac Pros came out, I thought the same as you - instead of several machines to run the different systems, I could consolidate on one box and save space. So I ordered one. After a few hiccups, and figuring out the right settings, etc., it works great! So good, in fact, that I also bought a Mac Pro for home. I have the same basic setup at work and at home. The only difference is I drive 3 - 22 inch LCD displays at work. Very happy!

A few caveats: If you plan on running more that one OS via Parallels or VMWare, you will need to get a lot of RAM. I would say 4GB is minimum (I have 6GB in both of mine), but get as much as you can afford. Otherwise the second OS will run a little sluggish.

Also, if you don't start off, you will eventually end up filling all four hard drive bays. At the least, in the beginning, get the biggest second drive you can afford for Time Machine. I initially bought both of my Mac Pros with the basic 250GB hard drive for the OS and bought the additional drives from a 3rd party retailer.

A little bit of envy info: Our photographer at work has an 8 core 3.2Ghz Mac Pro with 16GB RAM and 4 - 1 TB hard drives, driving 2 - 30" cinema displays. This machine is amazing!

Good luck with your choice - it won't be easy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All products built in the US? :Smirk: How about China? Because that's where Apple computers are built like most other brands sold here in the US and elsewhere. However, Apple tech support is excellent and is usually chosen as the best by magazines such as PC World, PC Mag, and MacWorld.

Don't be too hasty to switch and remember the genius you're going to speak with works for Apple. Consider all things before you make the move.

I absolutely love our MacBook and we're considering an iMac when newer models are announced sometime this Fall. But, we also have PCs including desktops and notebooks which we're not ready to turn over just yet. :D

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feedback!

Now I feel a bit more prepared for my rendezvous with the Apple guy tomorrow.

Interesting...the sales clerk at Apple stated their products were manufactured stateside...must be a newbie.

Thanks again for help!

Cheri

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would have a look at the imac options too then your at the apple store. Because for many people the Mac Pro is a little overkill. But in the end it's your money and you have to be happy with your purchase. But in saying that the Imac can easily handle running 2 or 3 operating systems at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
From the packaging of almost every Apple product I own:

"Designed by Apple in California, Made in China"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.