Mac only starts Win7 Bootcamp

Reaction score
I've had some major problems with my 2012 Macbook Pro but I'm slowly getting it to work. One of the problems is the Mavericks OS wasn't loading so I tried a restore that didn't work and then I tried to reinstall it but it doesn't reinstall. It asked me if I want to format the partition so I reformated the partition and tried again but nothing. Then after it restarted it goes straight to Win7 Bootcamp. Holding down the Option key, Option-R, SMC reset, etc. doesn't work either. In the Windows Bootcamp it only shows the Windows7 startup and not the Mac startup but If I go into windows explorer it shows the Mac Partition but I can't save or use the Mac partition. Basically when I turn on my Macbook pro I get the bong sound, no Apple logo and it loads up Windows 7. Any ideas?

M

MacInWin

Do you have backups of the Windows and OS X partitions? If so, the best solution at this point is probably a total wipe of the HD, including both partitions and a fresh install of OS X from the Internet (Boot while holding down CMD and "I") and then a reinstall of Windows7 through bootcamp. You'll lose everything, but at least you'll get your machine back. If you have backups, you can then restore to the way it was.

OP
W
Reaction score
I've thought about that but I think that will be a final last resort. I really have brought this thing back from the dead. Two Apple techs told me the mother board was fried. Turns out it was a problem the Magsafe board and a short in the keyboard (and a host of other small problems). I really got a Mac lemon. At this point I'm happy to get something to run on it and if I have to have Win7 running it will be good enough. Is there any way I can reformat the Mac Partition so I can use it with Windows?

OP
W
Reaction score
Answered my own question. Go to disk manager re format Mac Partition to NTFS. guess I have a Winbook Pro now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
By the sounds of things when you installed Windows 7 you have formatted the drive which wipesd OS X. Quite easy to do particularly under BootCamp.

OP
W
Reaction score
Originally I installed Win7 so I could run some software that wasn't on the Mac side. I'm still 100% sure why my computer went down, I had problems with it randomly shutting down and restarting by itself since the day I got it. Just one day it wouldn't start again, after the warranty of course. When I finally got it going the OS wouldn't boot, but the Win7 booted fine. Honestly I'm just happy its running something, I think the problem is tied to a short on the keyboard, I'm going to replace it when I get the time. Then I'll reset it up with a Mac OS. Besides Windows 7 is screaming fast on this thing,

Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.