Mac not connecting to mail server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.7 GHz 12GB Ram Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB
High Sierra is the OS on my mid 2011 iMac that just had the hard drive replaced.
After reinstalling from a Time Machine backup, the Inbox in Mail has a small triangle after it, and clicking on it gives me this message:
"Connections to host Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail on the default ports failed."
If I select the Try Again option nothing happens.
The Inbox seems to show all the emails.
How do I get rid of the triangle and message if it is not a problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
How do I get rid of the triangle and message if it is not a problem?

Try checking with your ISP and confirming that the proper Port is a selected.

Have you tried shutting down your Mac and maybe the modem, and then turn everything on starting with your modem and then your Mac once the modem lights have stabilized, and then try sending yourself an email and see if it works.

PS: How current was the Time Machine backup???

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The port must be correct because I receive messages in Inbox, Junk and Trash folders.
Shutting down everything and restarting in the order you suggested did not get rid of the little alert triangle.
The Time Machine backup was the latest one when the hard drive failed and had to be replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe try a Google search on the problem, ie:
mac Mail has a small triangle after it
mac Mail has a small triangle after it, - Google Search

There may be a solution among the hits.

Did you try contacting your ISP or whoever you use for your mail server to see if they have any suggestions???

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found many hits with your suggestion but nothing to where I can get rid of the triangle.
I will go to my ISP with questions now, Thanks.

krs

Reaction score
Bit of a long shot, but I had a somewhat similar problem and my ISP told me to deselect the "Automatically detect and maintain account settings" option which is preselected.
That solved my problem.

You find that under Mail>Accounts>Outgoing Mail Server - select "Edit SMTP server list"
Then the "Advanced" tab in the middle of that window

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't get Outgoing Mail Server under Mail>Account.I just get an Internet Accounts window with iCloud, Gmail and Mac on the left with iCloud and a list of other mail services such as Exchange, Google, Twitter, facebook one others/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
So pick your mail service and look at the settings there. Or Mail>Preferences>Accounts select the one you use and then look at the Server Settings tab. You should have an Incoming Mail and Outgoing Mail Server to set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't get Outgoing Mail Server under Mail>Account.I just get an Internet Accounts window with iCloud, Gmail and Mac on the left with iCloud and a list of other mail services such as Exchange, Google, Twitter, facebook one others/

You are in the wrong spot!!

You need to be in Mail.app and the go Preferences > Accounts then select an account...

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 3.04.37 PM.png

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mail program icon

OS High Sierra, iMac mid 2011, 12 GB Ram.
Mail program shows small triangle icon on the Inbox line.
Selecting the icon produces the following message: Connections to host Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail on the default ports failed.
Mail still receives messages so what does this message indicate and how does one get rid of this icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Does it always happen, even after a restart?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it is always there. even after restarts.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that I finally got to the correct place (Pref>Accts>account/Server Settings and see Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server blocks, I have 'Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail' in the Host Name fields in both Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server blocks. Clicking on the Account field under the Outgoing Mail Server I have the mail account Mac (Offline) checked and the option to Edit SMTP Server List. Selecting this option shows the 'Automatically added...' message under Server Name and in the Host Name field. Nothing about 'Automatically detect and maintain.....'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clicking on the Account field under the Outgoing Mail Server I have the mail account Mac (Offline) checked and the option to Edit SMTP Server List. Selecting this option shows the 'Automatically added...' message under Server Name and in the Host Name field. Nothing about 'Automatically detect and maintain.....'.

Why do you have the Hotmail account Offline???

As for the SMTP Settings, your ISP or mail server should have a list of recommended settings to use for each and every account you are using.

As for the yellow triangle with the exclamation in the middle, I would suggest googling the problem, ie:
Mac Mail how to get rid of the yellow triangle
Mac Mail how to get rid of the yellow triangle - Google Search

triangle with exclamation point mac Mail
triangle with exclamation point mac Mail - Google Search

etc

Sorry I don't use High Sierra and I don't know what else to suggest for your problem.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Now that I finally got to the correct place (Pref>Accts>account/Server Settings and see Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server blocks, I have 'Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail' in the Host Name fields in both Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server blocks. Clicking on the Account field under the Outgoing Mail Server I have the mail account Mac (Offline) checked and the option to Edit SMTP Server List. Selecting this option shows the 'Automatically added...' message under Server Name and in the Host Name field. Nothing about 'Automatically detect and maintain.....'.
Here are my settings in Mac Mail ver 13.0 (3601.0.10),

Accounts copy.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Accounts look just like yours except for the obvious Name/Password fields, but where yours say imap-mail... and smtp-mail...,mine says Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail. Also my account name is Mac not Hotmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I've lost the thread here. Can you tell us what email service you are trying to connect? Is it Hotmail, or Apple's mail, or what? Each email provider has a specific set of servers that have to be referenced and provided login information. So, can you capture an image of your accounts settings box (erase the login data, obviously) so we can see what email servers you are attempting to connect? Normally, the "Automatically added for iOS..." message is for Apple's mail system. Hotmail would have something else, which may well be why it's offline...you aren't providing login information. You are getting mail, but only through the system that has been logged into. At least that seems to be from the rather confusing set of posts in this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Accounts look just like yours except for the obvious Name/Password fields, but where yours say imap-mail... and smtp-mail...,mine says Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail. Also my account name is Mac not Hotmail.
You should be able to add the email account again, and all thin formation should auto populate in the required fields.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.