• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac Newbie Lessons Learned So Far

Reaction score
Okay, I've had my iMac for about a month now and I'm making some headway on all my videos. Thought I would share what I've learned from this forum as well as other sites I've found via Google. After using a PC for years, I'm loving it by the way!!!

Here is what I've learned so far, but any feedback or advice would be great.

1. Mac the Ripper: I've used this program to rip DVD's. I've also used it to rip videos from my Sony Mini-DVD, since it worked okay with the PC (and the crap Sony software). Sure, not using firewire, but when I get my next video camera.

2. Handbrake: Used this to compress DVD. I've even compressed my DVD's to use on IPOD.

3. SteamClip. Found this since the Sony videos were all convered to MPEG-2 and wanted in a format that I could edit with in iMovie or even burn on iDVD. I had to purchase the QuickTime MPEG-2 upgrade, but this program does a great job of converting a ton of MPEG-2 movies I had on a hardrive and was unable to access and edit before.

4. Still haven't tried ffmpegX since I havent' had the time to read through the documentation. Was looking for something quick and easy at this point.

5. After looking through this forum and others, still trying to determine if Toast or Popcorn, or other burns are better than iDVD. Haven't had any issues yet, but if there are benefits of either, not sure how they compare.

That is all I have to say at this point. I've probably missed something along the way and I'm still trying to get a better handle on video aspects, the best formats, compression, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
You're doing great! I've had mine since mid December and I've done a few things, but not even close to what you've accomplished. I could spend all day, day after day on my new imac. But then I have another life too that needs attention;>) Glad you're enjoying your new machine.

Reaction score
I've only had mine for 1-2 weeks, and am amazed at what Apple gives you with the iLife package. iMovie is WORLDS better than the stuff I was using on my PC. I love how fast it is as well.

I need a LOT more SFX, though. I'm going to see if I can find one of those "1,000,000 SFX for $30" packages.

OP
stonesrock
Reaction score
Believe me, I wish I had more time, just going with little sleep. I work in systems at work and just wanted to get aclaimated to the Mac. I know once we get warmer weather here in the Midwest, I'll be out on my Hog and not playing as much on the Mac.

Note: I'm finding that Steamclip is more usefull than I originally thought. I'm ripping my mini-DVD movies into DV format so I can edit in iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.