Mac Myths?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
Hi,Everyone In My research to purchase a mac, I keep reading here and elsewhere(cnet etc.) that macs and or osx are not the best for gaming.
Is this because of a lack of support from game developers? is it the hardware itself? Is this a myth or BS from the mac-haters? (not here of course!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would not buy a Mac for gaming simply because most games are never released for it. Even though the Intel Macs can boot XP and Vista, there have been some issues with running some PC games on them.

Reaction score
Many people complain that macs are not good for gaming. It isnt a hardware issue, it is more of a not alot of games issue. On PC there is an endless array of games most of which are useless. On mac there are alot of games, not as many as PC, but only a few mac games are useless. By useless I mean this On the Apple site there is a games page. It has alot of games on it.

If you are buying a mac, dont buy it intending to game on it. Buy it because you want a mac or for more visual stuff, (Photoshop, Movies, etc.)

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does osx(tiger) come with any games included with it? (chess etc. etc) Not that it is a big deal to me since I am not a heavy game player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Are there any other mac-myths ?
Apple/Mac Myths, Legends, Misconceptions, and other Exaggerations of the Truth

+ Macs never crash
+ Macs absolutely cannot get viruses, its impossible to get a virus on a Mac
+ Macs cost more than a comparably equipped Windows machine
+ Apple has a strict product release schedule
+ Apple will replace your system if it goes in for repair more than 3 times
+ Current Macs are better for design and other creative tasks
+ Macs can't 'right-click'
+ "There "isn't any software available for Macs"
+ iLife is part of OS X

Those are just a few that I could think of off the top of my head.
Absolutely NONE of those things are true, they are merely common misconceptions that people have about Macs and Apple.

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple/Mac Myths, Legends, Misconceptions, and other Exaggerations of the Truth

+ Macs never crash
+ Macs absolutely cannot get viruses, its impossible to get a virus on a Mac
+ Apple has a strict product release schedule
+ Macs can't 'right-click'
+ "There "isn't any software available for Macs"
+ iLife is part of OS X

Those are just a few that I could think of off the top of my head.
Absolutely NONE of those things are true, they are merely common misconceptions that people have about Macs and Apple.

I LOVE the one about"strict product realease schedule!! How timely!:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I play CS on my MBP via bootcamp and it plays great! Do a search for "games" in the bootcamp section of the forum and you'll see a lot of questions/responses to this question.

I would say, buy it for all the other great features OS X has to offer, then use bootcamp to enjoy your gaming too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you had any issues running popular games or other Windows software via BootCamp fleuyra? I ask because my wife is considering insulation XP on her iMac for work and perhaps I might try some lite gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't see why there would be any problems running games via Boot Camp. It's pretty much a stock installation of Windows, so it should do everything any other type of computer running Windows should.

The only issue you can run into is driver support, but from personal experience, everything seems to work just fine on that front (well, except for the trackpad, I wish I could tap to click)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none

I believe this to be true. I guess it depends on your definition of "comparably equipped". I can build a screaming dual core gaming rig for under $1000. Are you including software in your "comparably equipped" statement?

I play CS on my MBP via bootcamp and it plays great!

Define "great". (Frame rates, compare to a PC, etc) Also, I assume you're refering to the original CS, not Source.

Reaction score
A modern Mac would be more than adequate for most gamers, but just not for the avid "enthusiast" gamer who demands and insists on running state of the art cutting edge 3-D games at maxed out graphics options with high res with blazing flame rates.

Also, most avid gamers are also tweakers, overclockers, and like to modify their computers. When it comes to tweaking, the PC market has far better options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
A modern Mac would be more than adequate for most gamers, but just not for the avid "enthusiast" gamer who demands and insists on running state of the art cutting edge 3-D games at maxed out graphics options with high res with blazing flame rates.

Also, most avid gamers are also tweakers, overclockers, and like to modify their computers. When it comes to tweaking, the PC market has far better options.

True, however I prefer to have a life instead of a virtual one :)

You can waste literally years of your life tinkering with things. It's ok if you are just a consumer. However I like to create music and take photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I believe that this one may be true in the following context (I had an Apple sales person tell me this):

If your Mac goes in for repair 3 times for the SAME problem, AND you have purchased AppleCare, they will replace it.

This is part of the sales pitch for AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I believe that this one may be true in the following context (I had an Apple sales person tell me this):

If your Mac goes in for repair 3 times for the SAME problem, AND you have purchased AppleCare, they will replace it.

This is part of the sales pitch for AppleCare.
That still isn't true. The decision to replace a system is up to the Tech/Manager in charge. It has nothing to do with having AppleCare..
The misconception is that people believe that having AppleCare or the fact that it is the same issue multiple times, that it will give them a better chance of a replacement when it has nothing to do with the situation.
It is different from store to store and from person to person.
:black:

Reaction score
I just bought a MBP last week and haven't had any problems running games in XP via Boot Camp.

Am I running it completely maxed out in res and all options? No. I never did that in Windows either. When I used to build my desktops, I'd upgrade and tinker with them, but never really was do hardcore about it that I'd have to be on the bleeding edge all the time.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a Mac with my primary use being pc gaming, but it can do a nice job with games via Boot Camp. I looked at buying a Mac game or two to play in OS X, but everything they had that I was interested in, I already had purchased previously and played in Windows. So I just load those up in XP/Boot Camp and it's off to gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Current Macs as opposed to older Macs, or PCs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Current Macs as opposed to older Macs, or PCs?
Current Macs and current Windows machines opposed to older Macs and Windows machines.
Yes, it was true in the past that Macs were the better machine for design. They had advanced color rendering, graphics hardware was better, the machines overall hardware was faster, and the design software used was simply not as available for Windows systems of the past.
This is where the myth comes in. People still believe those points to be true. The fact is, Windows machines have since caught up and are just as effective in those areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And hopefully with the introduction of the intel chips into the apple computers, game developers will start to release more games that are compatible with OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
Can cutting edge pc games run as well in bootcamp as they do on a cutting edge pc? While I don't "waste my life" gaming, I do enjoy unwinding by playing pc games.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I would not buy a Mac for gaming simply because most games are never released for it. Even though the Intel Macs can boot XP and Vista, there have been some issues with running some PC games on them.

This is not only restricted to Macs, I have a huge box full of PC games that don't work on XP to which I have now added a larger number of titles that work on XP but don't work on Vista.

That's why I bought a PS3! (yes I know it doesn't yet play all the PS1/2 titles either but it seems to handle the majority ok)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.