Mac Mini

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a mac mini

1) for college (im doing a graphics course and all we use is macs)

2) as a media center

this question is about its media center ability's

first of all i will probably be using dual boot, i'll install windows as i use it often

will i have to partition the hard drive in two, this concerns me as i know mac minis come with small hard drives

also as i plan on using it as a media center i will have to transfer all me music and videos on to the mac, but if i put them on the mac partition when i use windows will i still be able to access them or would they have to be on both partitions

i was thinking i could use my old pc as a server and then both partitons would be able to use them but then i thought would i be able to access them from front row if they are on a pc acting as a server

sorry if i havent been very clear if you want to know anything else or need me to clear anything else please let me know

hope to hear back form a few people who can help

thank you very much !!!

Reaction score
No doubt people herein will offer helpful advice, but you'll find a huge amount of Mac mini-specific discussion and advice at the equally friendly and appropriately named www.123macmini.com.

Hope this helps.

OP
A
Reaction score
hey thanx but i registered for that site and didnt get a activation link sent to my e-mail and then cudnt re-register the same e-mail address so going to stick to this forum

thank you though

and i look forward to hearing from people on this forum :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Small hard drive?
160GB is plenty :D
and then purchase a firewire drive.
As to being able to access your files through a router this is possible, i am not sure if you can access them through front row however.
wiki itunes

that link may contain some infomation.

Hope this was of some help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You can put all your media on an external drive and then create an alias in the iTunes folder to add those be able to play them using iTunes. That ways you can also access them using Media Center too. I'm thinking of getting a refurb or used iMac and doing something similar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I own a Mini and used it for similar functions, and I can tell you it will work just fine, BUT you need at least 1GB of RAM or you will be disappointed. 512MB of RAM makes the Mini a SLUG, especially when trying to play videos, DVDs, open large apps, or even small apps that aren't Universal Binary.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey Thanx nukemm but can you be a little more specific when you say you use it for the same fuctions

do u have dual boot with windows?

can front row play files hosted on a network server running windows, more importantly will i be able to use the remote control?

also can the mac play media from either partition i.e boot in os x but play media stored in windows?

sorry for repeating my self but you didnt answer my questions (hope im not being rude either)

Thank you for the advice about the RAM tho i plan on updating the ram on my PC so ill get some for the mac at the same time

...... and to the person who said the mac mini comes with 160GB hard drive, is that as standard or is it as a custom build/upgrade option ?

Thank you very much every one

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have to get to sleep, busy day tomorrow, but really fast, the 160GB is a Built to Order option. When you order if from the Apple Store you can choose the stock 80GB, 120GB or 160GB Sata drives. Of course you pay more for the larger drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
My Mini has an 80G HD, but I have a 160GB Lacie USB drive hooked up to it all the time for most of my media. I agree with the above post that 1GB RAM is a must. I have about 50GB of free space on my internal drive. I only have about 6GB of music on it, but that's 1300 songs. Video fills things up a lot quicker.

Seems like you have a few options here for using your media with the Mini:
-File sharing via networking with your PC (cost: nothing, unless you need a router)
-Transfer media to an external drive (cost: an external drive)
-Get a Mini with a large internal HD and use that (cost: built to order cost of a larger than base spec drive)

I use my Mini wirelessly, and have it networked with my PC through a wireless Belkin g router. I have a 120GB internal drive in my PC, and the Mini accesses it pretty well. The music works good, but accessing videos from the PC can yield a little lag. As far as front row file sharing is concerned, I haven't figured out how to get the media files from my PC to show up there for some reason, it still tells me I have no shared files. Though from witnessing the speed in normal use, I wouldn't imagine video sharing via front row would be blazing fast, music would probably be ok...maybe some more opinions will chime in from people who have done this.

External drives are great for desktop use, as you can unplug them and take all your media with you if needed. Your files will be accessible quicker than networking with the PC, but they're still never quite as instantaneous as an internal drive, and they do take up a port. You'll just need to weigh your options, while taking into consideration how many USB ports you'll need, and how much space you require. One of the limitations of the Mini (along with most Macs really) is the lack of USB real estate. I personally have a lot of USB interface electronics that I need hooked up daily, so a USB hub was necessary (luckily my monitor has a built-in hub). If you're going to plan on using an external hard drive, keep this in mind. You can get a firewire drive, or they sell stackable drives made to fit under the mini that have built-in USB hubs.

A large internal drive, IMO, is the quickest and easiest way to be able to access all your media. It's not a cheap option, but not really much more than buying an equalivant external drive. For an extra $100, and can get 120GB, and for an extra $200, you can get a 160GB internal. You also have the option of buying one after market...but that comes with the issue of warantee service.

At any rate. I think it's just a matter of weighing your options and seeing what would be best for your situation. I hope my rambling helped a bit.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Want to buy mine? :)

OP
A
Reaction score
hey thanx fiveightandten, i appreciate the help

i can share videos, pc to pc with out any problem how cum there is lag with mac to pc?

Does any one know how to make networked files show in front row

surfwax95 where u frm, what are your mac specs and how much?

Thank you very much everyone im starting to understand a little more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Arkansas, but I could ship.

Bought it in November, don't need it anymore due to me getting an iMac.

Mac Mini 1.66Ghz Core Duo
1GB RAM
60GB HDD
Combo Drive
Apple Remote
All cables, manuals, and boxes included.
Apple wireless keyboard and mouse (Bluetooth).
$550

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.