mac mini

Reaction score
new 2024 mini w/ ventura will not allow torrents download manager into applications, have tried several only wed based u torrent
will download ......any insights....thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Please clarify, "will not allow". What actually happens when you try? Also, you do not mention which torrents download manager you are trying to use.
Personally I use Folx; The best download manager for Mac | Folx
I've had no problems with that on any recent macOS.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you mean that you can't install the application or you can't download a torrent to /Applications? The latter is not what you want to do anyway.

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
can download the app but it will not install .....there are no install directions
have used folx, transmission, bit torrent previously and on my m1 lap top folx and transmission worked but the m2 mini has had issues with these .... none of the torrent download managers will install and have been using web u torrent........ I must be doing something wrong ....ever since the last ventura update a couple of things have gone awry: adblockers stopped working in safari...could there be a connection ?

Last edited:
OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
when when the dmg promps to place folx in applications it refuses, a small arrow in the left hand corner appears

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
Wanted to thank you for your time with this finally discovered how to get it installed .......Ventura has made it very convoluted compared to previous os........have been using apple for 14 years, simplicity and user friendly interface has all but disappeared

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What did you actually end up doing that was different. Not questioning your statement, "Ventura has made it very convoluted compared to previous os......" Ventura (macOS 13) is quite different in a number of ways to macOS Monterey, lots of new security measures and features like Stage Manager, passwordless logins with Safari and lots of updates to Messages and Mail not to mention System Preferences changing to System Settings with a completely new interface but that was a few years ago now.
Many of our users including myself are now on macOS Sonoma (macOS 14.3.1). You will be releived to hear nothing that dramatic has changed since then. Although some tweaks have been made Sonoma is more like a refined version of Ventura.

My guess is that you may need to change your security settings and or ensure you always download third party apps from the developer's web site.

See System Settings > Security

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 19.27.52.png

Notice that there are now only two options. Personally I haven't had any trouble with this and apps download and progress to the stage of dragging to the Application Folder as before.

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up, have had 3 laptops an Imac and a mini and because of the 32 bit architecture have stayed with Mojave mainly to preserve PS 6 until it became untenable, enjoying the external boot drive still use the Imac for PS 6.....
To answer your question after the prompt to drag Folx into the app folder failed went to settings, shut down all protection ...avg....malwarebytes ....tried it again—no go ....went into downloads took the dmg and put into applications and it worked.....
Ease and simplicity are paramount at my age and the hyper jump to M1 M2 have presented some issues. Thanks again its been good talking with you

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh, you don't want the DMG in Applications, you want the actual application contained with the DMG. So you should double-click on the DMG file within Downloads and then either drag the application to the Applications folder within the window that appears or the Applications folder in Finder, that will copy the app over.

Running from the DMG isn't meant for normal usage.

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
Removed app with Osx Uninstaller then re downloaded folx, followed your instructions and it all works now ! Thanks very much.......question: why is a dmg not to run in applications ?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
why is a dmg not to run in applications

Here are some answers from Apple and others:

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A DMG is a Disk Image and is meant as a container to ship applications. The other way is through PKG files which contain installers that do more work. A DMG contains the full application and doesn't require any post-processing to install.

A DMG, however, is a read-only container. Think of it like a ZIP file. Yes, you can unzip the file in memory to see the contents and even run an application from inside, but that isn't the designed purpose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.