Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
I'm a recent switcher
I just inherited my wife's old G5 computer, my beloved PC laptop is now the kitchen computer. I already realize that g5 chip will not do all the things my pc did, like picasa etc and run PC programs like PC quicken, apple version sucks. Any way my needs are few, but do write some web pages etc. and not a gamer. And now trying to keep apple products in my home, so the price of the Mac mini, seems very good but only a 160 HD but that is ok I have many external HDs. Is there any reason or reasons I would not be happy with it????

TIA for advice
Or suggestions on how to use the g5 for my needs would be welcomed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Personally, I think you would love it and it sounds perfect for you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm a recent switcher
I just inherited my wife's old G5 computer, my beloved PC laptop is now the kitchen computer. I already realize that g5 chip will not do all the things my pc did, like picasa etc and run PC programs like PC quicken, apple version sucks. Any way my needs are few, but do write some web pages etc. and not a gamer. And now trying to keep apple products in my home, so the price of the Mac mini, seems very good but only a 160 HD but that is ok I have many external HDs. Is there any reason or reasons I would not be happy with it????

TIA for advice
Or suggestions on how to use the g5 for my needs would be welcomed

Your profile says that you have a "new" Intel iMac. Depending on the specs of the Intel iMac you have...and the Mac Mini you're thinking of purchasing...if there is a big difference in processor speed you might see a difference.

You also didn't mention if your Intel iMac is a work or home computer...so is this Mac Mini going to be the first Mac in you home...or is it in addition to the Intel iMac?

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Your profile says that you have a "new" Intel iMac. Depending on the specs of the Intel iMac you have...and the Mac Mini you're thinking of purchasing...if there is a big difference in processor speed you might see a difference.

You also didn't mention if your Intel iMac is a work or home computer...so is this Mac Mini going to be the first Mac in you home...or is it in addition to the Intel iMac?

- Nick

I was wondering the same thing. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry(old guy here), the Mac intel is actually my wife's computer, I will change profile to show both.
I just looked at the Apple web site for the mini and they have a newer version listed, I do not know when it came out but has several new processors and HD choices and lots of I/O ports. Could be a good buy for me trying to make this a true Apple house hold.

I did edit profile it to show the G5 imac was mine and Intel(new) was wife's

Reaction score
Hi righturn,

I recently (like 3 weeks ago) purchased the 2.26GHz version of the Mini.

I use it for browsing, email, scanning documents, printing, viewing youtube vids, etc and I find it meets my needs perfectly.

I'd happily recommend the Mini to anyone. :)

Why don't you visit your local Apple store and take a Mini for a test drive, to see for yourself. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thanks, I feel like the Mac mini would be a good choice for me, I see no real issues for it, but wife wants a mac book pro at $1000 and my issue with it is that it has no Hdmi port, well the mini doesn't either so we shall see.
Rottie
I/we have been to the Apple store and take classes etc, some of the employees know our names LOL and most of them are very good trainers and sales people. Unfortunately the Apple store is over an hour from where we live so it is a pain at times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
I would also recommend the Mini. I bought one before Christmas, hooked it up to my 22" ViewSonic monitor that used to be on my Windows PC, and I use it for all of the typical basic computing tasks as well as iLife, website hosting, etc. I'm happy with it. Performance might not be mind-blowingly stellar, but it's definitely good enough. I went with the basic package and didn't upgrade the RAM or the processor. You might want to consider those options, but even if you don't, you might not even regret it and you'd end up saving a few bucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.