Mac mini/yosemite and apps

Reaction score
Hi there folks! New to the forum, but have been a loyal Apple owner since the IIe was new. First I'd like to thank everyone here for their knowledge - I've been searching through the forum here trying to solve my problem, and you've helped me get this far. Unfortunately I don't see any posts relating to the point that I'm currently at.

I purchased a used ebay MacMini (my 8th Mac) containing both Adobe CS and MS Office for my business so I could handle the duties of a part-time employee who quit to concentrate on her young family. She gave me her project files, I just needed to get the apps to do the work myself from now on. No problem.

For the past year or so everything was fine. Then I "upgraded" the mini to Yosemite. Now it takes 30+ seconds for a click/keystroke, 15+ minutes just to open an app. I long for the days of my old SE/30. And (shame on me) I never used Time Machine since I'd never had an issue in 30+ years of Apple products. I've read that I'm not alone in my mini/Yosemite issues, so I figured that I'd just downgrade back to Mavericks. Lots of searching/reading pointed out that it wouldn't be easy but could be done.

Before reverting the OS and jumping through the hoops I'd need to, I went through the mini first to make sure I didn't have a hardware issue. I reset the PRAM and SMC, turned off all the unnecessary goodies in the system prefs, checked/ran disk repair (no issues), upgraded/maxed the RAM, tried safe boot (no real difference), ran etrecheck (nothing glaringly wrong), etc. Nothing made a difference and, at the speed it's running at, it's taken me weeks to do this. I then partitioned the hard drive and installed Mavericks on the new partition. VOILA! My mini runs great once again. However...

I don't have my apps, specifically Adobe & Office. I can't drag them over to the new partition and open them. I can't open them in the new partition from the old partition in the finder. I tried downloading the installers and (using a purchased "serial number finder") reinstalling them on the new partition, but the numbers didn't work. I tried using a Time Machine backup (yes I now have an external backup drive and am finally using TM) to transfer the apps from a backup to the new partition using Migration Asst, but I need to upgrade to Yosemite to do that. Nothing is working, and I'm out of ideas on how to make it work. It's been down for over a month, and I need to get it running again.

Does anyone here have any other ideas to get my apps from my Yosemite partition to my Mavs partition so I can use them again? Apologies for the long post - just trying to eliminate potential "did you try this" posts.

Thanks very much for your help!
Aaron

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I purchased a used ebay MacMini (my 8th Mac) containing both Adobe CS and MS Office for my business...

I tried downloading the installers and (using a purchased "serial number finder") reinstalling them on the new partition, but the numbers didn't work.

First…I'm not really sure why the computer was slow after upgrading to Yosemite. You did say that this was a used Mini…and you maxed out the ram. But we don't know exactly what Mac-mini model this is…and how much ram it has.

Second. Sounds to me that the apps of concern (Adobe CS and MS Office) were not "legal" copies. Unless the previous owner transfers the ownership of the apps to you (gives you the original install media & serial numbers)…then those apps are not legally yours.

Third…I have no idea what a "serial number finder" is…but it sounds highly illegal. We at Mac-Forums really don't help folks with these sorts of activities.

- Nick

C

chas_m

The problem with Yosemite's speed might be fixed by what we call a "clean reinstall."

As for the apps, see Nick's reply above. If you don't have the discs, you or your former employee pirated the software. A paid "serial number finder?" I'll be mildly surprised if that's not outright malware, but even so boy did you get suckered. Ever heard of a phone? You can use it to call Adobe and MS if you are the legit owner.

So do a clean install, buy legit copies of your software if needed, and let us know if that fixed the issue.

(aside not pertaining to the subject) 18,000th post! Half of you saying congrats, half saying "get a life ya loser!" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And possibly the remaining half say 'Not chas m AGAIN!!!'

Only joking mate!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... half saying "get a life ya loser!" :)

Sorry to hear that (I must have missed that surfing the threads). I hope the half saying it were kidding and not serious. Certainly not very nice if they were serious.

I know you make a heck of an effort trying to help folks…even if sometimes there's some "snarkiness" included (which many of us can be guilty of from time to time)!;)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
OK guys, apologies if I'm unaware of legalities regarding software. I'm a car guy. If I purchase a car that has something added by the previous owner, it becomes my property when I purchase the car. Likewise if I purchase a computer that has something added by the previous owner, shouldn't that become my property when I purchase the computer? Common sense would seem to say yes. If the law says otherwise, I have no actual response other than "that's stupid". I purchased the mini used on ebay with installed software, and the seller did not include the packages for the software or hardware. If this is illegal, I would expect ebay to disallow such selling. The one I purchased was one of many listed as such. I saw no disclaimer anywhere on ebay stating that the included software wouldn't be legally mine. Does this mean that the RAM that he installed (from factory 2GB to 4GB) is also not mine? I've never purchased a used computer before, so this is all completely baffling to me. If I purchase something, whether new or used, it should be mine. I'm pretty sure the guy I bought my used car from didn't call Chevy to tell them. Likewise I'm pretty sure the mac's previous owner didn't call everyone to tell them I bought it. He didn't tell me he did, so I can only assume he did what I would've done. I suppose a phone call to each software company would clear that up.

I should've clarified the hardware in the initial post. (I did the first time I typed the post, but the site made me log in a 2nd time and I lost what I had typed.) It's a mid 2010 2.4GHz. It was running 4GB ram at the time of upgrading the OS, it's now upgraded to 8GB with no difference in poor Yosemite partition performance - the Mavs partition seems quite happy with the upgrade. My personal late 2008 MBP is running Yosemite with 4GB, same DDR3 ram, with no issues. Google led me to pages and pages of posts regarding Yosemite messing up other late 2010 Mac Minis similarly to mine. Unless it was the same person posting many, many times it seems semi-common - at least noteworthy.

As for the Product Key Finder (serial number finder as I previously referred to it), they're available on cnet.com which has always seemed like a legit site. (If it isn't, please let me know now before I go there again.) I'm not trying to pirate anything or seem devious, just trying to move the software onto a different partition of the hard drive so that I can use it with the same efficiency I did previously. I purchased/used the key finder a few months ago - well before the OS upgrade - so that in the event that something like this happens and I lose usability of the apps I would be able to repair/reinstall the software that I have since I knew it would ask for the code which I wasn't given at purchase.

I didn't mention that I tried a clean install of the OS (after reseting the PRAM/SMC) but I will try it again. Perhaps with the RAM upgrade since the last install it will improve things.

I'll refrain from further talk of the software as it seems I ruffled some feathers. I don't want to be accused of being a thief after purchasing something second hand. If the clean install of Yosemite on that partition fixes the issue I'll report back so that others can learn from it.

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance.
Aaron

OP
D
Reaction score
Clarification: Perhaps the reinstall of Yosemite wasn't a "clean install" as my apps, etc remain. I might as well try that since they do me no good on that partition. I don't have the $ to (re-)purchase the apps, but perhaps the computer will run properly again and I can purchase the apps some other time in the future.

Aaron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I understand where you are coming from Aaron. The vast majority of people do not understand how software licensing works.

Used computer resellers especially on eBay, will create a clone of a hard drive then move the clone image to a new hard drives in a different computers. Apple really makes it easy due to the identical hardware setup in models. Now all the software from the original computer is installed on as many new computer as the seller wishes. The problem is the software license is for only the original purchaser and only for one (and sometimes two) computers that are owned by the original purchaser.

I have purchased four different Macs from eBay resellers. Only one came with "illegal" software. It had Adobe CS6 Suite, Office 2011, and other stuff I didn't need installed. I did a reinstall of the OS and installed my own legal copies of the software I wanted..

For me it is a ethics issue but I am well aware most people just don't know or realize it.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Aaron:

No one is accusing you of anything. We're just trying to be informative since we realize that some folks may not be aware of how software licensing works. When you buy a used car and the owner signs over the Title to you, the car according to law is yours.

However, software doesn't work that way. We don't own the software, we license it. (Just read any software EULA legalese.) Software licenses have restrictions as Lisa has pointed out to you.

And Welcome to the Mac-Forums. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does this mean that the RAM that he installed (from factory 2GB to 4GB) is also not mine? I've never purchased a used computer before, so this is all completely baffling to me. If I purchase something, whether new or used, it should be mine. I'm pretty sure the guy I bought my used car from didn't call Chevy to tell them. Likewise I'm pretty sure the mac's previous owner didn't call everyone to tell them I bought it.

Computer software is "intellectual property". When we buy software...the developer of the software specifies how we are supposed to use it. This may mean one install & one install only...or it may mean a couple of installs (but only by the original purchaser for the use by the original purchaser).

Think of it this way. What if the person that sold you the computer installs the apps you got (Adobe CS and MS Office) on 100 or 1000 different computers. Why should anyone EVER purchase software. Just have one person buy one copy...and then they install that one copy on the rest of the 5 billion computers on the planet. How does Adobe or Microsoft make money by selling just one copy of the software??

Let's use the automobile analogy you mentioned. If you buy a carburetor for a 69 Camaro...that carb. can only be installed on one car at a time right. If you decided to get a bigger carb. or install a dual carb. setup...you could always remove that carb...sell it to someone else...and they install it on their car. Computer software works pretty much the same way. You get a serial number or an install key...and you install on one computer. You could (at a later date)...sell the computer (with the software on it)...but also transfer ownership of that software to the new owner (if this is in compliance with the software developers ownership transfer rules).

As for the Product Key Finder (serial number finder as I previously referred to it), they're available on cnet.com which has always seemed like a legit site. (If it isn't, please let me know now before I go there again.)

That "product finder key" is totally illegal. And the CNET.com site...stay away from it. Just a good site to accidentialy pick up malware, adware, spyware, etc.

I'll refrain from further talk of the software as it seems I ruffled some feathers.

Oh you're not ruffling any feathers.:) It's just basically against the rules to discuss or participate in illegal matters here on Mac-Forums. If someone were to continue discussing these sorts of things...they would be warned...then suspended...then banned. Easy enough.:)

But we wil also bend over backwards to help folks with any sort of issues...as long as they are not against the law.:)

I don't want to be accused of being a thief after purchasing something second hand.

No one was accusing you of anything.:) You were simply being informed that the software that was included with your used computer purchase was not legal. You admitted that you were not aware of this sort of thing. So all is good...now you know.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Never meant to be snarky hence the 'just joking mate'. I think chas m knows I respect his opinions more than many others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.