Mac Mini, TV & Home Theatre

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I used to have AppleTV hooked up to my home theatre with 3 rca cables (video ) to TV and optical (to home theatre). I decided to switch to mac mini.

Mac mini works great with my monitor but not with TV and hometheatre unless I am doing something wrong

Here is my set up

I have only 1 RCA coming from video 1 (on TV) into Mini DVI to Video Adapter which has RCA input going into Mac Mini

Then line in going to optical on home theatre which is only for VIDEO 2.

Now the problem is that for Video 2 on my TV, it has Y, PB, PR not just single RCA which is making it hard for everything to be read, I think

Any thoughts. Hope I was clear

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are in essence trying to plug a composite cable into a component input and expecting to get video. Sorry, not going to work. Yes, I know... you are not clear about what I'm saying.

The easiest way for me to help is for you to provide:
1) which Mac Mini do you have - I prefer year and processor speed
2) what is the make and model # of your TV
3) do you want the sound from the TV or a separate stereo or surround receiver

OP
J
Reaction score
thx for answering

to answer your questions

1. 2.26 intel 2009
2. sanyo hdtv dp 32746
3. i want sound separate from home theatre

let me know if u need additional info

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would assume the only HDMI port you have on the TV is in use by another device already?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming you're using the component cable (the one with three wires; red, blue and green) right now. Whichever one of the three wires you are connecting to the video adapter on the Mac (doesn't matter which color), you can try connecting it to the yellow RCA (this is called composite video) on the Video 1 connections.

20100225-kbbju1nnihrtunmqn3x5fj4j3c.jpg

You're not going to get a very good picture through this connection. The max resolution through composite is 480i. What I am not sure about is whether that mini-DVI to video adapter will work on the 2009 Mac Mini. It does not work with some of the 2009 Macs. If it does work, I would suggest you get a S-video cable. Should be a little better pic, but still only 480i resolution.

Your best bet for a good quality picture will be to get a HDMI switch like this. Also grab yourself a mini display port to HDMI cable. This will connect from your Mac to the switch. Your Blu-Ray will also connect to the switch. You'll need another HDMI cable to go from the switch to the TV. That switch is manual and you will just push a button to switch it from outputting either the B-R or your Mac.

From your response,am guessing you've got the sound covered properly going to your stereo already. If you need something there,let me know.

OP
J
Reaction score
yea i tried the single cable rca and s video going into adapter but no result.

are u aware of the fact that this HDMI solution will work definitely?

:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have used many switches for many things over the years. No reason for me to believe it will not work. I currently use my A/V receivers as HDMI switches for both my home theater setups.

monoprice manufactured that cable specifically at the request of a great many Mac users. You can check out the reviews there to get a feel for each item.

If I had your setup, I would not have any qualms about purchasing what I have suggested. I might look for a switch that has a remote or has more than 2 HDMI inputs for future expandability.

Your options without the switch, is going to be switching the cables on the TV when you want to go from your Mac to the B-R.

OP
J
Reaction score
thx

when u say remote, what do u mean?

if i am looking to buy another tv with more than 2 hdmi then that would be best option?

that being the case or not, how will audio work because currently doesn't with home theatre

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean a remote, just like your TV remote so you don't have to walk over and push the button on the switch. This will require a powered switch instead of an unpowered switch as the one in my link above.

If you're looking into purchasing a new TV, then no, don't get the switch, just get that cable and live with having to change it out for awhile. Most current model HDTVs will have 3 HDMI ports at a minimum.

(You did switch the input on the TV to Video 1, right?)

As for sound, depends on what connections you have available on your receiver.
You should have either:
The standard red & white RCA input jacks and you will need a cable like this one.
Or an optical input. Then you'll want a mini-toslink to toslink cable like this one.

If you need something more, you'll have to tell me more. Saying it currently doesn't work with your home theater provides me no beginning point to assess your problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yea I did and the weird thing is for a second u see something to come up (as in the borders in 4:3 are in darker black then the ones inside) and then after 10 sec it goes no signal

Thanks again. I have Sony Home theatre KS2300. Here is the back side of it

I have got BD IN going to blue ray player and HDMI Out to TV. Other than that speakers on the right are connected and I was using TV OPT in previously for appletv to get home theatre sound

sonyback.png

OP
J
Reaction score
ok i figured it out. i threw in line out to audio in under TV for home theatre

that being solved. Another small problem. I have PIX 1, 2, 3, 4 on TV corresponding to 4:3, 16:9 and then in zoom in versions

For some reason I can't see apple menus on top as it's cut off and so is my Macintosh HD drive on the right

Any thoughts?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With that set up, you should be able to just get the mini displayport to HDMI cable and plug that in from the Mac to the SAT in or DVD in - either one - then the Sony is acting as the switch.

If you've got a pic now, that's being cut off all the way around, open up System Preferences - Displays - on the Display window for the TV - I think the last tab - turn off or uncheck "Overscan" - you'll now have a black border all the way around the screen on the TV. That's the best you'll get (without a 3rd party app that allows you create custom resolutions) unless your TV has the option to turn off overscan instead of using the option on your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.