Mac Mini to T.V.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Will connecting my Mac Mini to my T.V. via the USB ports result in the videos on Youtube appearing on my big screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Will connecting my Mac Mini to my T.V. via the USB ports result in the videos on Youtube appearing on my big screen?

The simple answer is NO - not sure which model/year Mini you own nor the brand/model of your TV (hope fairly new w/ HDMI ports)? But looking on the Apple Website, the video output support for the current Minis is quoted below - likely your best option is to use an HDMI cable which will carry audio & HD video to an HDMI port on your TV - Dave :)

ADDENDUM: also consider obtaining an Apple TV and using AirPlay to send your AV wirelessly to your TV.

Video Support
Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colors

Thunderbolt digital video output
Native Mini DisplayPort output
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

HDMI video output
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Last edited:
OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Thanks Dave.
Tried using a HDMI cable. It worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave.
Tried using a HDMI cable. It worked.

Congrats! Yep, those HDMI cables eliminate 5 if using component video (3) + audio (2) and a better picture. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats! Yep, those HDMI cables eliminate 5 if using component video (3) + audio (2) and a better picture. Dave :)

You mean more cable isn't better?:D Someone should have e told me this long ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean more cable isn't better?:D Someone should have e told me this long ago.

Hey Sly... - LOL! :) Just bought us a new Samsung HDTV for the bedroom and the Time-Warner cable box is plugged in w/ 5 cables (component video & stereo audio) - WHAT a mess! Isn't HDMI wonderful! Well, today I opened the carton and the 3 little screws to attach the base to the new 22" HDTV were missing, so have to wait until Crutchfield in Virginia ships me the screws (I'm kind of PO!) - not their fault, it was the packaging.

BUT, now decisions, this new HDTV came w/ 2 HDMI ports & component (or composite) AV hookups - so what would you advise? Necessities: 1) New Time Warner Cable box that likely will take an HDMI cable (previous one did not); 2) Roku device which can do HDMI; and 3) New Blu-Ray player which definitely will do HDMI?

Well, I'll probably keep the cable box on the 5 component video/2 audio cables and just do the other two on HDMI - changing technology is a PITA at times, but interesting! Dave ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had our previous cable box connected via component video plus the two audio cables. When I switched the connection to HDMI I did not notice an improvement in picture quality particularly when watching things such as TCM. That might be a function of my TV though which is limited to 720p.

If it is not a huge pain to make /change connections I'd try both and see if you notice a difference. If you do find that you prefer HDMI then there are HDMI switches available that feed multiple inputs (DVD, cable box etc) to one output. They can be had for as little as about $40 from Amazon, Monoprice, et. al.

If you go that route some of the switches have a remote to switch among inputs. Even among the cheaper switches there are units that will automatically switch among inputs based upon which one is receiving a signal. Nice feature but it means you have to think a bit about which device will get priority.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly.... - thanks for the comments! The Blu-ray player is new and the new Samsung TV is 1080P so I'll definitely do an HDMI cable to that unit - now our Roku device just has two options (currently composite video + audio - the poorest choice) including an HDMI connection - I think that my previous suggestion is about the best to try first - let's see but I have to wait until the **** screws are shipped - I have a great workshop in the basement but these attachments seem to be all plastic these days, so I'll wait - ** HUM - :) Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah that' definitely worth a try first given that it is no cost. Now if the box were outputting a high quality signal to one of those newer 4K sets that's a different story altogether.

One thing to think about if you decide to go the switch route and use one that auto switches based on sensing the signal. I had to think a bit about where I plugged things in on the switch. The switch I had was component or Video but scanned for an active signal.

The device scanned the ports in order looking for something that was outputting a signal. Not a problem unless you have several devices that are always left on. The device read that as outputting a signal and stopped looking there even though another device might be on and the one you wanted to activate. Took a little thinking but I put things that could be turned off (VCR) on highest priority inputs the always on devices were on lower priority inputs because turning the first devices off meant the switch would keep going. The only time I had to manually adjust the selector is if there were two always on devices in the chain. Then I had to select among those two.

That was for a group of composite devices I assume the HDMI switches behave similarly. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.