Mac mini M1 screen flickering.

Reaction score
Is it a hardware fault? It was working fine and now all of a sudden I turn it on today and it's flickering. I've tried everything but it's still doing it, the monitor works perfectly on everything else, just all of a sudden not this Mac Mini. I've done some googling and it seems to be a widespread issue, but I cannot see a fix.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've tried everything but it's still doing it, the monitor works perfectly on everything else, just all of a sudden not this Mac Mini.

Please let us know what "everything" is. "Everything" covers a lot of ground.;)

Remember...could be anything between the Mac-Mini and the monitor/display.

Could be anything in the "chain" from the Mac-Mini to the Display:

* The Mac-Mini itself.
* Video cable connection at the Mac-Mini port.
* Video cable itself.
* Video Cable connection at the monitor end.
* Could be the monitor/display itself.
* Could be a video cable adapter at either end of the cable (if using a video adapter).

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Could also be some conflict between the display settings and the display capabilities. Hard to tell.

OP
F
Reaction score
What's weird is there are no resolution or frame rate settings, it's just locked to 60hrz despite having a HDMI 2.0 cable that worked fine on the 2018 Mac mini. So I have to do all the settings in the monitor menu, it'll run at 120hrz 1440p with HDR 600 on, but it doesn't matter what I set it to, it still does it. Then it'll go away for awhile, it'll come back randomly :/ I have four monitors here and I have several cables, but it does it with all of them.

My two Windows PCs work perfectly fine, I'm switching it all around, but I know it isn't a hardware fault.

You can never tell with Apple and external monitors though, my last Mac mini would crash on sleep for 2 years, then one day it magically went away..... I never did another update on it again lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 5K 27" i9 3.6Ghz. 3TB, 8Gb, Vega 48, Sonoma, 15 Pro Max, iPad M1, MBP M1, AppleTV, Watches
The monitor may not be up to modern standards. You mention 1440p. These new Macs output :
  • One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI 2.0
  • HDMI 2.0 display video output
    • Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
    • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

OP
F
Reaction score
Nothing to do with my monitors, they work on everything just fine, just not this Mac M1. When I google the issue it's so widespread and the solution is to always blame the user.... typical Apple fans.

Any ways the "Genius" told me today it is a known issue, so I opted to send it back to the retailer.

krs

Reaction score
@Feriluce
In your first post you said:
It was working fine and now all of a sudden I turn it on today and it's flickering.
How long was it working fine with the Mini M1?
Seems strange that it was working fine for a while, then it started flickering and then the "Genius" guy says it's a known issue...
If it was a known issue it wouldn't have worked fine for a while - the flickering would have been there right away with the Mini M1 and this monitor.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As we used to say in the repair business..... it's OBE now. (Overcome By Events)

@Feriluce has already sent the M1 Mini back to where he purchased it from. It's no longer a problem. ;)

krs

Reaction score
Yes, I know - I read that.

I would still like to understand how a problem that only appears after a while can be a known issue.

Reaction score
I had similar issues but was able to find a workaround. Its by no means a real "fix" and I obviously can't guarantee that this will work for everyone.

My workaround was: go to "Display" within "Settings" and turn on HDR.

I just got my M1 Mac mini today, and i immediately noticed my monitor switching on and off repeatedly during the "Migrate from another Mac" process. It didn't really bother me at the time, but after everything was set up, i noticed the monitor would show what looks like radio interference, especially when displaying dark colored content. The monitor stays on, but the brightness would flicker around the edges.

I tried changing cables, I tried different ports (HDMI-HDMI, HDMI-Thunderbolt, HDMI-Display port, Thunderbolt-Display Port etc.) but nothing solved it.

So then I started messing around with the display settings and turned on HDR and BAM, no issues whatsoever. My monitor supports HDR, and its a bit straining on the eyes but certainly a lot better than screen flickers.

Hope this helps someone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Yes, I know - I read that.

I would still like to understand how a problem that only appears after a while can be a known issue.

Intermittent problems can be known issues, I've seen many over the years since I first became qualified to service Apple kit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.