mac mini longevity

Reaction score
am looking to the community for feed back on the pit falls of the base m2 mac mini: how many repairs under warranty, length of service, possible upgrades etc. an overview of dependability. the nearest store is a 10 hr. trip any insights are appreciated

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1. "How many repairs under warranty":

No one can predict this...hopefully no repairs needed under warranty.

Only way to REALLY get an idea of this...is NEVER purchase a brand new computer (especially when a new model is first released). Wait at least 6-12 months (or maybe even 1-2 years AFTER a model was released)...then you can see if there are a lot of dependability issues with a specific model computer.

As an example:

* M1 Mac-Mini's were released November 2020...which is just over 3 years ago. I have not heard any issues with M1 Mac-Mini's.
* M2 Mac-Mini's were released 11 months ago. Have not heard any dependability issues with them either.

Thus purchasing an M1 or M2 Mac-Mini should be reasonably safe from manufacturing or design released issues.

2. "Length of Service":

Length of service is hard to predict...since different users have differing demands. If you were a hardcore photo or video professional...you'd probably need/want to upgrade to a newer model sooner than the average Mac User...since "time is money"...and you'd want to save time with your projects.

Assuming average user who mostly does internet browsing, email, MS Office type tasks, video chats, light-moderate photo/video projects, social media, video streaming...usually you can expect at least 3-5 years (especially if purchasing a current model Mac). I happen to still be using various Mac's that are 7-12 years old.

3. "Possible Upgrades":

With a base model M2 Mac Mini...probably zero. RAM & SSD storage space can only be upgraded at time of purchase. After purchase...RAM & SSD storage not upgradeable.

4. "Overview of dependability":

Again...probably impossible to predict.

5. Regarding nearest Apple Store being 10 hours away:

This is why Apple gives users/owners the ability to ship a computer to Apple for service/repair:

HTH,

Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
am looking to the community for feed back on the pit falls of the base m2 mac mini: how many repairs under warranty, length of service, possible upgrades etc. an overview of dependability. the nearest store is a 10 hr. trip any insights are appreciated

If you need service, Apple will send a courier with a box to you to overnight your Mac to them, and they will overnight it back when repaired.

All Macs tend to be supremely reliable. Most long-time Mac users have a closet full of old Macs that they retired while they were still working perfectly; they just felt like they wanted a newer Mac.

For business users I usually recommend that you plan to replace your Mac after 5 to 7 years. After that technology drift makes it wise to upgrade to a new Mac. Home users can go for 7 to ten years, and by then technology drift is becoming severe. (e.g. Web browsers are no longer updated for your machine and not all Web sites render properly.)

The part that was least reliable in a Mac used to be the rotating disk hard drive. Now, with the advent of SSD's, your drive usually doesn't break, it instead tends to fill up and slow down precipitously. The larger SSD that you get, the longer it will last.

The mini is no less reliable than any other Mac, and more reliable than a MacBook. Not being portable, a mini leads an easier life. It is rare for a Macintosh of any description to need a repair. Your mini is likely to never need any repairs in its lifetime.

Folks don't upgrade the hardware on a Mac. RAM and SSD aren't upgradeable. However, if you find that you need more storage space, you can add an external drive.

A mini is an excellent choice. 27-inch 4K monitors are the sweet spot as far as value for performance right now. (Depending on what country you are in.) If you get a good HDMI 2.1 cable, you don't need to spend a fortune to get a monitor that looks stunning.

You can save a good chunk of change buying an Apple refurbished mini. It will be indistinguishable from brand new:

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
Very comprehensive overview .... the service centers in India, where I am currently, are not providing a shipping service. This is my first mini and have been debating about icare due to short funds, the new policy of 60 days to insure put a bit of pressure on the situation.
As you say the monitor which is a 27'' Philips 4K sans speakers (not stunning) combined with a Blaupunkt sound bar is certainly a sweet spot .....the other devices have worked well, the 17'' mac bk pro lasted for 9 years, a late 2015 imac is still going the only one that had issues was a 12'' mac bk. Have come to terms with the lack of an icare package.......
Thanks for the heads up........

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.... the service centers in India, where I am currently, are not providing a shipping service.
Apologies. Made the assumption you were in North America, Western Europe, Australia, etc...where Apple stores are more numerous.

Definitely understand your situation...where Apple Stores not nearly as accessible. 10 hours to nearest Apple Store is a quite a distance.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
the nearest store is a 10 hr. trip any insights are appreciated

Hmmm...??? I was under the impression that Apple could ship most purchases right to one's door as long as it was accessible to the delivery folks:

Shipping & Delivery

Standard and express delivery options are available through the Apple Online Store and by speaking with our Apple Contact Centre. The standard delivery is free of charge for any order exceeding a certain amount. ...
Please review the Shipping & Pickup page to learn about how and when you will receive the products you purchased from us. Since the actual delivery of your order can be impacted by many events beyond Apple’s control once it leaves our facilities, we will notify you of any significant delays, and work with you to ensure a smooth delivery
https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-s...ing & Delivery,with our Apple Contact Centre.

But maybe that is not what happens in actual reality when in India.

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP's concern was about getting a computer serviced/repaired...and nearest Apple Store being 10 hours away.

Ability to ship a newly purchased Apple computer to OP's location was not mentioned.

Nick

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
The apple presence here is in the form of distributors, there is one store in Mumbai, the only location as we know apple in the states and this was done recently to avoid import tax .......2017 paid $1700 dollars for an imac in India that retailed for $1200 in the states, India is basically Samsung and Windows territory .........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The apple presence here is in the form of distributors,

There may not be any actual conveniently located Apple stores in India for you to have access to but they're certainly seem to be a fair number of Apple repair places:

and even quite a few Apple Authorized Service Stores doing a quick Google search on "apple authorised repair in India":

I know India is a very large and varied country and has a lot of very clever technical people I'm sure there must be some place that could do any repairs.

But then again you were anticipating that a new Mac is going to need some repairs which is not always the case at all in fact they seem to be very reliable from all reports I have read, so you may not even need any convenient repair place. Just got some Mac model you want and need and yes it may be a bit more expensive than one could buy what the same model in the US, but that often happens in Canada as well, but it's better than it used to be.

Just some thoughts...

- Patrick
=======

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
icare is an attractive market tool and useful for many, however the Indian market is unique, many advertise to have service skills, been down the road of 'authorized' repair, created issues not related the original - plus 10 hr drive.......have a late 2015 imac, mac air, and mini should be ok until returning to the us......thank you for helping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
however the Indian market is unique,

I can vouch for that with my own online experience fairly recently in an attempt to get some details and pricing for a fairly large Mobility rechargeable lithium battery from several of their Online-Market places but finally just gave up with frustration and desperation.
They certainly seem to have a different idea and methods of selling products that I just could not deal with.

It certainly does seem to be a large and interesting diversified country.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.