Mac Mini Help Please

Reaction score
Hi, I am back again with what is probably a noob question. I recently got hold of a 2009 MacMini which has quite surprised me for the age of it. I am only using it for surfing the Net and using the odd app. I bought a Mini Display to HDMI lead and though there is a picture on the monitor there is no sound. This is the question, why am i not getting sound and is there a lead or setting i need to change, i have Catalina freshly installed on it if that makes any difference and can't find any settings unless i am missing something. Unable to connect to WiFi as well and wondering if the install of Catalina has messed something up, it had El Capitan when i got it, would i be better going back to that as i have a time machine saved. Any help appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your 2009 Mini has a built in speaker. Do you have that selected in System Preferences, Sound?

Or, do you mean that the Monitor has built in speakers and there is no sound?

As for the WiFi and any other problems.... A 2009 Mini can not run Catalina. The highest it can go is 10.11.6 which is El Capitan. Why would you want to install Catalina? Also, Catalina can not run 32 bit apps.

I would suggest wiping the Mini and install El Capitan. It's likely many of the problems you're experiencing may go away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe the Mac Mini Mini Display Port is video only in those models/year.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe the Mac Mini Mini Display Port is video only in those models/year.

Correct. But that year Mini has a built in speaker.

He needs to first get Catalina off that machine and go back to El Capitan. Once he's done that, he can start to figure things out.

krs

Reaction score
Correct. But that year Mini has a built in speaker.

He needs to first get Catalina off that machine and go back to El Capitan. Once he's done that, he can start to figure things out.
Agree 100%

However the speaker on the Mini is pretty basic.
Once that Mini is back running El Capitan I would connect something to the audio output of the Mini, that Mini has a minijack with combined optical digital audio output/headphone out.

OP
L
Reaction score
Agree 100%

However the speaker on the Mini is pretty basic.
Once that Mini is back running El Capitan I would connect something to the audio output of the Mini, that Mini has a minijack with combined optical digital audio output/headphone out.

I put the Mini back to El Capitan and it's a different machine to when it had Catalina on and my WiFi works now as well which i am pleased about. Got sound coming out of my sounder now so well happy. The main reason i put Catalina on was to make it a better machine but that failed big time. I have learned my lesson and won't be doing that again. Gonna save for something a bit more modern and try and learn the Mac OS, Safari is doing my head in atm but i will suss it out. Thanks guys for all your help and advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.