Mac Mini G4 1.5 (with Airport) as File Server??

Reaction score
Hi All

I am new to this site and fairly new to the world of Mac and so I am hoping to get some help.

I watch and have a lot of video content usually via an LG Smart TV or my iPad (using airplay) Prior to the festive season and for the last few years I have had all my content stored on a 1TB Iomega Drive (4 or 5 years old) however for Christmas I have received a Sinology Disk Station NAS which I have put 2 3TB Western Digital Reds into. Over the last couple of days I have been setting up a Plex account and it seams to work ok. However, if I am playing the files on the TV via my amazon fire stick it buffers quite a lot - I suspect this is because the synology NAS does not have sufficient processor speed to deliver the stream quick enough to the TV.

So... my thinking is that I need a networked file server (but I don't want to spend too much money) I also have a wife that likes thinks (especially my IT stuff) to be discreet and hidden away.

In the house at the moment we have 2 MacBook Airs, 4 iPads, 4 IPhone and a Windows 10 Laptop (the PC doesn't need to access the NAS or a potential server)

I have a number of questions:

- Could a cheap Mac Mini G4 (the later model with wireless ability) be used as a server (If I didn't get the wireless version I could put it next to the modem / router (its a Virgin Superhub - NETGEAR VMDG480 I think) - is this a better option?)

If the answer is yes and the Mac Mini can be used to do this job....

- Can it run Plex and the media files continue to be housed on the NAS
- Once set up can I use my MacBook to log into the server and manage it (i.e. it will not need a keyboard, monitor etc)
- Which OS will I need

I have a bit of experience setting up PC based servers but that was a few years back and things have changed since then - plus Mac appears to be somewhat different so I'd really appreciate any / all help.

Steve

C

chas_m

At this point I would not buy anything using a PPC processor (G5, G4, earlier) at all. No way to reliably get contemporaneous software for it, nothing new runs on it, security and compatibility problems if you take it online, and all that stuff is now 10 years old, minimum. You know where most 10-year-old PCs are? In the recycling center.

But yes, an INTEL Mac Mini could do what you're looking for. Others are more knowledgable than I am on the "best" Mac mini models, but something not too old (I'd suggest no more than five years, preferably newer) is going to be your best value for money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.