Mac Mini Freezes

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini 2010 (2.4GHz, Core 2Duo). Running 10.6.8. 4GB of ram. No new programs or installations. It is an office computer that runs all the time. For the last week, every morning it will not respond to the mouse or keyboard. The fan is running very high/fast. You can hear it just walking into the room...normally you cannot hear it hardly at all. The only way to restart it is to hold the power button until it shuts off. It restarts fine, runs fine during the day. No slowdowns or freezes. It is set to never sleep.

I've used Onyx to run the maintenance scripts and fixed disk permissions.

Is there some process that is causing this? How can I fix this? Is this going to hurt the Mac mini?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, shutting it down every day via the power button is not going to help it. So why not put it to sleep and see what happens? But, the noise issue does not seem good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
If you still had applecare, this would be a great time to use it. Freezing/wild fans could possibly be a sign of a dying logic board.

Follow this article to run the Apple Hardware Test, and post back if it finds anything: Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I had a similar issue but with an older 1.25Ghz G4 Mini. Using it as a Web (WWW) Server. Was dead stable for ages then started every day to just lock. Fan going fast, would not shut down unless I held the power button. Fresh installed 10.5.8 and within 24 hours same thing.

In my case, it was the original 40GB hard drive dying causing the OS to go KP and freeze. New drive and it's like new.

This might not be your issue, but the symptoms are the same, so thought I would mention it just in case. I checked the Disk Utility and the 40GB drive was Failing SMART.

Reaction score
yea crazy fans are not a good thing, in my experience its usually a dying logic board

OP
D
Reaction score
I ran the Apple Hardware Test, short version. It says no problems. I may re-run it the long test when I have the time. The last two days it has not been frozen in the morning.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX are you running on that Mini? Also did you run Disk Utility and verify the hard drive is passing SMART?

OP
D
Reaction score
10.6.8. Disk utility and Onyx both used. No reports of any disk problems. Did pass SMART.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.