mac mini for use with pro tools LE

Reaction score
hello!

i was thinking of getting a mini to run Pro tools LE, and these are the specifications i had in mind:

1.83 MGHz
512x2 Giga memory

and some sort of external HD with 7,000 RPM to run the software...

would like to know if anyone out there uses minis with pro tools, do they work well together?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
hello!

i was thinking of getting a mini to run Pro tools LE, and these are the specifications i had in mind:

1.83 MGHz
512x2 Giga memory

and some sort of external HD with 7,000 RPM to run the software...

would like to know if anyone out there uses minis with pro tools, do they work well together?

The 1.83GHz mini with 1GB RAM will put you up around $900. For $100 more, you step into the iMac range. That's the base spec 17" machine, but it has a 160GB HD, and is more upgradable. If you're going to be doing a lot of recording, you may need an extra HD anyways, but I figured i'd mention it. If you're going to go out any buy a monitor anyways, i'd look into the 2.0GHz 17" iMac, or even the 20", which is a great machine (and at least 260GB).

The Mini is a nice computer, but it is entry level, and depending on how serious you are with recording, maybe not the best option. External drives work nice. But are never quite as snappy as an internal, FWIW. Just something to keep in mind. There are very large internal drives available for the iMacs (500-750GB), and the Minis top out at 160GB if you go from Apple.

Just some stuff to keep in mind. I have not used protools with my Mini, as it has Garageband, and I just do home recording.

-Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
i don't really get how this site works. i found your reply today by chance...
so if i never find you again, thanx for your msg! my brain is turning into mush trying to figure out which mac to get. the imac seems like a better choice...

thanx nick :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.