Mac Mini died

Reaction score
I have no light and the power button does nothing. Should I just replace it or is there something else I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
Check everything from the mini back to the wall plug, ensure no cables are loose. You'd be surprised how many times it's that simple. Will anything else - a lamp, for example, turn on using the same outlet? Check the breakers?

Then press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds. Release. Press once to turn on.

Then... depending on the age of the machine... find a repair shop or back to Apple.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Already tried everything but the 5 sec hold. That didn't work either. Took it to the Apple store and they think it is the power supply but they no longer have the parts. When they did it cost $90-150 to fix, so I'm going to see what's possible at third-party repair shops. I also see Amazon has a refurbished one for less than $400, which will make a good backup if nothing else.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A bad power supply was going to be my first guess.

What model Mac-Mini is this? Maybe we can search around for the best price on an exact replacement.

Or maybe this is a GREAT time to upgrade to a new M1 Mac-Mini. Way better than any of the previous model Intel Mac Mini's...and they're selling used on eBay for around $500...and refurbed from Apple for around $589.

Nick

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Has to run Mojave. I still have some legacy software. I've replaced my MBP with a 14" M1 model but can't do that with the mini.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I just checked ebay and I can get a whole duplicate late 2012 mini for less than $150. The only question is what OS version it is running.

krs

Reaction score
Does the maOS on the 2012 Mini really matter?
You can always install Mojave on it if it's running a different macOS.

I have a 2012 Mini which I upgraded to Mojave a while back along with a 1TB SSD and 16 GB of RAM.
The 16GB RAM was a waste (but it was cheap at the time),the Mini never seems to need more than 8GB when I check usage.
I have my Mini plugged into a UPS,that will hopefully protect the Mini's supply from power surges and such.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked ebay and I can get a whole duplicate late 2012 mini for less than $150. The only question is what OS version it is running.
If you're looking for a 2012 Mac-Mini...I got one via eBay a couple months ago for about $100. As far as the macOS. Like krs mentioned...you can always install what you need. Many times sellers will sell used computers with no OS installed (since they completely wipe the drive prior to sale).

Nick

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Upgrading to 10.14.6 is almost automatic. It is downgrading I worry about. It can be done but everything I read suggests it is a pain. Fortunately, the unit I am currently looking at has a 30 dy free return and a 1 yr warranty so I should be ok.

Because of legacy 32-bit software the latest OS I can run is 10.14.6.

I currently have 16Gb of RAM but I can easily transfer that to a 8Gb machine if I have to.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When it comes to downgrading the mac OS...easiest approach I do (which is not exactly easy). I usually backup everything that's important...then nuke the drive (do a complete erase).

Then reinstall the macOS I need/want...reinstall any owner installed apps...copy all the backed up files onto the drive.

Luckily downgrading is not done often.

If I was purchasing a used computer...and the macOS on it was "too new" for me...I would wipe the drive clean...then reinstall the macOS I needed.:)

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way. The 2012 Quad-Core i7 Mac-Mini I got via eBay for $100.

I had 16GB RAM from another computer that was compatible...installed it into the Mac-Mini...plus swapped out the "spinner" HD & installed an SSD. It's working great!:)

Nick

krs

Reaction score
swapped out the "spinner" HD & installed an SSD.
Do you remember how much actual work it was to replace the "spinner" with an SSD on that 2012 Mini?
When I read the iFixit instructions, they tell one to disassemble several delicate parts like the antenna, but then there a comments by users that much of the disassembly in the instructions is actually not necessary.
I initially installed my SSD in an external USB3 enclosure and run the Mini that way, but I would like to install the SSD inside the Mini and free up the extra USB3 port.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you remember how much actual work it was to replace the "spinner" with an SSD on that 2012 Mini?
Ohh yes definitely remember...wasn't too long ago.:)

I've done a hard drive swap on both a 2010 Mac Mini and a 2012 Mac Mini (both exactly the same design).
When I did the HD swap on the 2010 Mac Mini...I followed the instructions to the letter. When I did the 2012 Mac Mini...I realized that some of the steps in the iFixit procedure were unnecessary.

* Step #10 (where the airport/bluetooth wire is disconnected)...I think this step could be skipped...if the "antenna plate" that the wire is attached to is carefully moved out of the way just enough to gain access to the HD (careful to put no stress on the wire).

Removing this wire with a spudger is not too bad...but sometimes pressing the airport wire back onto the airport card can be a pain (you need to press pretty hard sometimes to get it on).

* Step #13 (where the IR wire is disconnected)...I'm fairly sure this step can be skipped (I don't think it's connected to the hard drive in any way. I did it when I did my 2012 Mini...but only realized after that this step could be skipped.

* Steps #14, #15, and #16 can be skipped. These steps involve removing screws so the Mini's logic board can be slid out about 0.5"...to give you more room to slide out/remove the Mini's hard drive.

There's enough room to remove the HD without doing these steps. The main problem is sliding the logic board out 0.5" is not very easy (that's why there's a special tool for this).

If the logic board was easy to slide out...I would do it. But since the logic board REALLY doesn't want to come out (after removing the proper screws)...I figured the risk wasn't worth the reward of a little extra space to work with.

Also wanted to let you know (in case you were interested). Two internal drives can be installed inside the 2012 Mac-Mini (just like the server version of the Mini). Need to purchase a special bracket. If installing 2 drives...then I think steps #14, #15, and #16 must be done...since I believe the dual-drive mounting bracket needs extra space for the install.

HTH,:)

Nick

krs

Reaction score
Great!
Thanks for the detailed post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.