Mac Mini demands a restart

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here to the Forum and it looks like a great place to get help on Mac issues. I'm also new to the world of Apple. Windows finally drove me round the bend and I just purchased a new Mac Mini.

The first thing I tried after setting up the Mini is doing a Time Machine backup to a USB drive I had. I formatted (erased) the drive then started the backup. After about 6Gb out of 9Gb, I got a black overlay over the whole screen saying I must restart my computer. This happened twice before I gave up on the backup and disconnected the drive. That was yesterday. Today while browsing without any peripherals connected I got the same black, semi-transparent screen saying I had to restart.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks!

Kevin H.

Reaction score
Sometimes hardware issues cause the restart window to appear. I had a bad USB hub do it...also a SCSI card. Something in the system messed up when you did the backup HD thing. I would boot with the system disc and repair permissions. Even better you should have OnyX installed to to do system repairs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Besides what MacSK asked, did you do any upgrades to the Mini? Any new RAM or is it like out of the box? Since it's doing it with the USB drive not attached, that does not sound good.

OP
K
Reaction score
MacSK: I guess a system disk does not come with the Mini. SW is pre-installed. There is a disk repair button in the Disk Utilities in Finder. I'll try running that on the HD.

Dtravis7: Yep, right out of the box. It does not sound good, as you say. Grrrr.

If this persists over the next few days, I'll take advantage of the free short term Customer Service you get with a new Mac and see if Apple has any ideas.

Thanks for the replies.

Kevin H.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How long you had the Mini? Take it back and show Apple what it's doing.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I finally got hold of an Apple tech on their customer support phone line. He walked me through some diags until he finally accepted that the Mini was not working properly. He set me up with an exchange for a replacement. The replacement arrived two days ago and it seems to be working fine so far.

I would have taken it right into the Apple store, but the nearest one is 100+ miles away in Des Moines.

Again, thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be returning here soon for additional support

Kevin H.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great to hear Apple replaced it for you. There was something wrong with that other one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.