Mac Master browser requests causing SBS 2003 domain errors

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been working on a problem with a mixed Mac and PC environment. The problem started with a call about PC's being disconnected from a Windows SBS 2003 server. I tracked the problem to errors in the event log. This same error was reported every time the disconnection happened: "The server service was unable to map error code 1355."

I then investigated that error and found that it could be caused by Mac clients. The suggestion was to run netmon and see what workstation was causing the error. After running netmon and matching the time stamps with the errors, I found that the Mac workstations were broadcasting for master browser over and over and the result was the disconnection of PC's.

Im kinda lost with this now. I am a PC guy (please dont flame me) trying to learn the Mac way of things. If anyone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You might want to give SharePoints a shot. There is an option to turn off Master Browser.

You can probably do the same from the command line (Terminal.app) but I don't know the command.

Picture 1.png

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Is there a way to just disable the Master Browser requests? Everything runs fine and radomly this will happen.

I could use the add on software if all else fails. I could also isolate the Mac side from the PC side and that should fix it. Just looking for the path of least resistance. They are a very demanding customer. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
SharePoints also comes as an application, if you do not want to install the Preference Pane. So just launch it, set the checkbox, and quit it. That setting should keep, unless the user starts to play around in the Sharing preference pane again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.