Mac mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Is gmail compatible with mac mail. Mail wants to know what kind of account I am tring to use it with, mac, pop, image and so on; How exactly do I do this? Do i need server address from gmail to get this to work, if so what are those?

Thanks guys.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is gmail compatible with mac mail. Mail wants to know what kind of account I am tring to use it with, mac, pop, image and so on; How exactly do I do this? Do i need server address from gmail to get this to work, if so what are those?

Thanks guys.

Gmail is a web-based email account and by default, standalone email applications that are designed to work with POP/IMAP/Exchange, etc will not be able to download mail from such an account.

There is hope, however. FreePOPs is a program that can relay mail from just about any type of web-based mail account to the email application of your choosing.

Check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
i have mail on my macbook pro set up to retrieve mail from my gmail account. works really nice!

the necessary settings are on the link in the previous post.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
granted i am having a small issue with gmail and mail.app right now they work perfectly fine together....i dont know what that other poster is saying.

and yes the instructions on how to set it up are listed irght there on the gmail website
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Once you follow the above instructions in the link, gmail works really nice with the Mail app. You'll probably be very pleased with it.

It's all I've used...easy set up and works flawlessly! :D

Reaction score
I used to have a Dashboard Widget that monitored my Gmail account but it meant that I'd have to be constantly logged in for this monitoring to occur, d'uh! Of course, I binned the widget 'cos I don't like leaving my Gmail account open 365/ (see attached image)

images.jpg

Reaction score
While you enjoy using Gmail with Apple Mail, keep an eye on a new app that will be coming soon called Mailplane.

Reaction score
I was invited to use mailplane...

I was invited to use mailplane... and it works well. Just like Gmail. Only, I can't really see what the advantage is of using mailplane over regular gmail? But it's functioning very well. :)

ZDW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.