Mac Mail

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for my lack of basic comprehension behind email access and storage. We are getting ready to cancel our Comcast account (who currently provides our email service). Say they shut off the spigot tomorrow, will we still have access to all of the comcast email up to today on our computer via our mac mail in and out boxes?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whatever you have stored on your Mac will remain there and you will have access. However, a note of caution: If your account is an IMAP account the mail folders on your Mac are going to reflect what's on the server = Inbox, Sent, etc. Make sure you store your mail in different folders on your Mac otherwise when the server gets cut off, that mail may be deleted.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Charlie Could they accomplished the same thing by going into Mail Preferences>Accounts. Then select the account and uncheck the box marked Enable this account. As long as that box is unchecked synching with the server shouldn't occur. I think I used this recently with my iCloud account. This way they can either leave things on the Mac in its current form or archive at their leisure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could they accomplished the same thing by going into Mail Preferences>Accounts. Then select the account and uncheck the box marked Enable this account.

Basically, yes. However, nothing like making sure, which is why I like keeping separate folders. I ran into a problem not long ago with my gmail account and several IMAP folders that reflected what was on the server. I then accessed the account from the web and removed mail on the server. Little realizing that at the same time it removed the mail from the reflected folders on my iMac. Dumb move on my part, but CCC to the rescue! Lesson learned. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I almost made a similar mistake with my iCloud account. Intending to clear my junk mail folder I accidentally deleted the contents of my iCloud account. Fortunately, I had temporarily disabled synching on that account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To save problems when changing ISPs, I generally start the new service one week prior to the old being dumped with of course emails to all Contacts adbising change of email address.

Next time around think I will just take up one of these pobox alias addresses.

https://www.pobox.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.